Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pattir118

Pattir118

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

My computer has been running insanely slow, especially opening internet pages in both Chrome and Firefox. I open the internet and I could literally go to the store and come back before the page opens.
Its running slow all together but the internet is the slowest.

My son downloaded Minecraft and I think it was from a bogus site and it exploded all over the place. Ive scanned with Ad-Aware and its scanning clean now but I did have some sort of trojan that I removed a while back but I am thinking it has something to do with that,

Thank you for your help
Patti 

I forgot to mention that I am getting alot of script errors as well

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 January 2014 - 11:28 PM.
Moved from Windows 8 to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KAlliance

KAlliance

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Hi Patti,

You can try running a network virus scan. Housecall is a decent one and free of course. Here is the link http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

A thing to understand, viruses are pretty smart now a days. Sometimes running a local scanner like ad-aware, mcafee, etc will not pick up everything. Reason being, some viruses can, so to speak, detect when files are being scanned so they'll wait for a file to be cleaned and then jump to it to avoid being detected. Another thing you can do is disable some of your start up programs and look for strange out of the ordinary names that you might find in there. If you're running windows 7 and below, you can hold the windows key + r to open your run command and type msconfig. click on the tab that says startup and thats where you'll find what programs you have loading when your computer restarts. If you're unsure of what to click or not click, feel free to send me a screen shot and I'll walk you through some recommendations.

Hope this helps!

Tiffany

#3 Pattir118

Pattir118
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

I have Windows 8 on this computer (hate it). I did the startup programs prior to posting here. I will try that scan you posted and report back.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users