Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 TB internal HDD with Win XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincident

Vincident

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Greetings -

I've installed a 3 TB internal HDD into a Lenovo M57 6082 system. Win XP has been installed and brought to SP3.

As it stands the system is only seeing a little less than 1TB of the HDD.

It's not clear that the Lenovo's BIOS will support a drive of that size, but leaving that aside for the moment, will Win XP Pro SP3 support a 3 TB drive?

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

I have only heard of success with XP 64-bit and 3TB drives. And 2TB or less for XP 32-bit, and of which the motherboards BIOS also has to support the large capacity for any OS!

With one of my builds a few years back that was XP 32-bit Professional with a 1TB HDD, I ended up creating 2 partitions C: and D: 500GB each and went this path vs a full 1TB partition for the OS, but then I bought a 3-license Windows 7 upgrade and this system was rebuilt and 1TB drive swapped for a 500GB and the 1TB then went into an external enclosure to be used for backing up data vs having large amounts of data spinning on C: every day.

So I have downgraded to smaller capacity system drives lately to keep my systems running on the bare minimum software and games installed vs years past when I would have a system jam packed with games I bought and the 10-20GB free to play games etc and it made for a cluttered system.

Running now on low capacity cheap SSD's 30GB, 40GB, and 60GB as my C: drive on 3 systems and 250GB and 500GB D: HDD's for fast performance and to force myself to keep the builds clean of clutter. The important data is stored to the HDD's vs the SSD's. As well as read/write intensive operations are performed on the HDD's.

Edited by goldfist, 09 January 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#3 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

It looks like it's possible:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/beyond-2tb/

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/gpt-loader/

However, the Paragon software isn't free.   From the link:

Note! The current version of Paragon GPT Loader cannot help you to accommodate Windows OS on a 2.2TB+ drive. Its main purpose is to provide access to 2.2TB+ drives connected internally as a secondary device under any Windows OS since XP. Only internally connected single 2.2TB+ drives are supported, not external storages, or those combined into RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks).

I've never tried a drive that large with XP :)   .

Edited by daveydoom, 09 January 2014 - 10:07 PM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#4 Vincident

Vincident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. It appears in my research on this I am seeing the same things - possible, but with a good amount of phenagling. I guess I'm gonna have to get with my friend and see if he wants to take the time for me to figure all this out and make something happen.

Thanks again for the replies!

Anyone else have 2 cents?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users