Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem loading digital camera into Picasa--different program?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Please move if this is an incorrect forum.

I have a Kodak easyshare digital camera M381 and have used Picasa 3 for uploading pictures for several years. I now have 708 pictures in the camera. In the camera the pictures are fine. I tried twice today to upload onto my computer. Tried to exclude duplicates by checking that box (would have meant maybe 70 new pictures to upload) but both time error message. Can't exactly remember what it said, offered about 3 possibilities as to what went wrong.

I have windows xp sp3, avg, zonalarm, intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHx, 1.0GB RAM, plenty of unused storage. Picasa has worked without problem as late as yesterday when uploaded a single picture from a friend's e-mail.

Computer is working well in other respects. 

wondering if there is a better program for uploading. Picasa has never been ideal for me. Lots of overlap in albums, thumbnalis, other items I don't fully understand.

originally tried the kodak uploading program but that was worse than Picasa.

I would like something simple for uploading and then for exporting individual pictures to e-mail. Don't care about slide shows, facebook, etc.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you!

Firetooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

thought I would add something: tried to upload to Picasa again today. A bar graph shows that all the pictures are uploaded. Then an error message appears that says: An error has occurred while attempting to import. Either the source is unavailable or the destination is full or read only. (1)

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Well, here's my latest update. After the error message came up I left my camera attached to the computer for quite awhile. I could hear the the computer was busy doing something so I left it alone. Eventually I examined the Picasa website and even though the error message was still there, all the new pictures had uploaded! Go figure. Meanwhile I tried 3 different free photo programs, all of which I disliked. So I may stay with Picasa for awhile longer unless someone has a good recommendation. 

Firetooth

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have always used Photobucket, at this link.

http://photobucket.com/

#5 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thank you GB2064. I notice this program comes with a backup for Windows. Do you recommend doing that? Sounds like exactly what I am looking for!

#6 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Your welcome!

I have never used that feature, I just upload photos there and then post them to another website.

I do this so that I do not exceed my storage limit on that other website.

If you go to your library in Photobucket, and hover your cursor over the top right side of any photo, a menu will open.

If you select "links", and then click on "direct link", this automatically copies the link to the clipboard.

Then, on a site like this, do you see the square box just below and to the left of the "smiley face", if you click on it and paste the direct link from Photobucket, your picture will appear.

You may already know that but it took me a while to learn, so I thought I would pass it on.

Edited by GB2064, 11 January 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#7 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi GB2064

Thanks for the advice. I can use anything you have to offer. I have been familiarizing myself with Photobucket. Is there a way to upload photos from my camera? I can't tell so far.

Thanks!

Firetooth

#8 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

I have never uploaded from my cameras, just from files on my computer.

But I would say that it probably is possible, just see if your camera is recognized when you are on the Photobucket upload page.

Also, your camera uses an SD memory card, and if you have a card reader for your computer, Photobucket will certainly upload from there.

#9 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

All those camera-to-PC uploaders have issues, I think. I've never seen a really simple, intuitive example.

I always remove the SD Card, put it in the card reader and handle the process myself through Windows Explorer. You see exactly what's happening and you have full control over the operation.

Once they're in a folder, right-click a pic, or several pics > send to > mail recipient.  Too easy.

Card readers, if you don't have one, are cheap ~$10-20.00

Edited by PanickyD, 12 January 2014 - 02:03 AM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

I always use a Card reader myself, for a couple of reasons.

First it is lightning fast, and second, I had one camera that the instructions recommended a card reader over the USB connection, saying that it was easier on the camera.

I have no idea if this is true, but that is what the instructions said.

#11 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

PanickyD and GB2064

Thank you both for mentioning a card reader. I had never thought of doing this. In fact I have never thought about what card readers are for. I will go ahead and get one and no matter which program I end up using, whether Photobucket or Windows Explorer, I think the process will be much easier and more streamlined.

Firetooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users