Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned Win7 drive onto UEFI Win8 PC, 7D BSOD after cloning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dontknowitall

dontknowitall

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hello,

First, thanks for any help you can provide. I have Acronis 2013 Plus. What I am trying to do is image the disk of a Windows 7 machine (source) to a machine that had Windows 8 pre-installed (target - Gateway SX2110G).

I connected the Windows 7 drive to the new machine (USB data cable), disabled Secure Boot, and enabled Legacy. Booted to True Image and started the cloning of the drive. Everything seemed to go ok, but as soon as it starts to boot Windows 7, it gives a 7D BSOD. (the same BSOD it gives when I simply plug the source hard drive into the target and try to boot from it).

The source HDD (win 7) boots fine in its original machine.

*I tried the startup repair that's included with the image.. does it matter if I use the one from a disc instead?

I've been stumped for 3 days. If anyone can help I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Did windows 7 machine have UEFI on the mother board? You will find a baremetal backup with UEFI can be tricky when migrating to another board.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 09 January 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

all the drivers will be wrong... it's a crazy thing to do. it would only work with Linux.

you need to install Win 7 on the target machine and then use Easy Transfer to move the data over...

Edited by TsVk!, 09 January 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hi

Windows 7 came with built in support to move OS to a dissimilar hardware. What you need to do is run the Sysprep tool which will generalize Windows ( a process to remove all system specific drivers, SID etc) . After the system is shutdown, simply clone the drive to the new HDD and connect it to the new machine. Upon next restart, Windows will re-detect all hardware and walk you through the OOBE screen (Out Of Box Experience).

Refer this excellent guide for detailed info - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html  

Edit:

Make sure not to boot from Windows once you run "Sysprep" and shutdown the system. Running "Sysprep" a second time may not work. Immediately clone the disk after "Sysprep" completes. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 January 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

wow that's news to me... I am humbled by your knowledge, again, Anshad.

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Yeh Sysprep is great for Windows Deployment  through the server or using WAIK as well is great. I am sure a baremetal backup utilizes the sysprep functionality as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users