Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need reccomendations for new hard drive, please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hello, My name is Jeremy.

Thanks to the help of the kind people in the Windows 7 forum, I now know the problem with my computer is a failing hard drive.

(Thread summary is on page three)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514038/norton-360-idle-tasks-completely-locking-laptop/page-3

I would like a Recommendation of a good replacement hard drive, and a good place to buy it, please.

I'm looking for a drive based on price and compatibility first, followed by the  drive being one that is known for lasting a long time.

Here is a link to a speccy report on my computer, from the last time it was working fairly well.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7blj0f4X1oOF8twcX5hHdQH

If I'm right, it should have all the necessary  specs on my computer, if not, I'll be happy to provide any needed data.

There isn't anything on the old drive I really care to bother much with saving, but I'd rather not pay for a new windows 7 OS.

Is there any way to legally transfer windows 7 from one drive to another?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hey Jeremy, I remember you. Can you give us some idea what you want as far as size, brand, and how much you want to pay etc? As far as your last question, I replaced my HDD and had to call Microsoft Customer Service and they activated my windows over the phone.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

What do you want to accomplish and how much can you spend?

Since this is a laptop I'd recommend going with a Solid State Drive (SSD).  No moving parts and much faster than a mechanical drive..  The problem is that they are more expensive.  I'd recommend any of the Intel Drives larger than 120GB.  You can get away with 80GB but will find yourself running out of space quickly.

If you want to stick with a mechanical drive I'd recommend the Seagate Drives.  As you can see they are much less expensive than an SSD.  I've never had a good feeling about the 320GB drives and would recommend either 250GB or 500GB if you go mechanical.

Edited by RKilroy, 10 January 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Looking at your current hard drive...;you seem to have more than 200GB unused on a 320GB drive.  That should say that, for what you need, you don't need a very large hard drive.

I concur with the suggestion of an SSD, based on known problems with with regular hard drive failure rates...but I don't suggest one larger/smaller than 120GB.  Current usage doesn't justify a larger drive, IMO and you don't seem to need additional storage.

I don't make brand name recommendations...doing such assumes that one manufacturer is better than another...and that just doesn't seem to be true when it comes to SSDs.   I would stay away from OCZ drives, based on their uncertain future, see http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/27/ocz-declares-bankruptcy/ .

FWIW:  SSDs In The Future

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

First of all, I would like to apologize for the late reply.

I have the bad habit of tending to procrastinate on things that I'm unsure of/ never tried before. (Like physically replacing a hard drive).

I managed to find a used 320GB toshiba hard drive that was already in the house, and on starting it up, I found that it already had windows 7 installed.

Unfortunately, it also has a password on the only user account that I can't figure out...

Would I be able to do a factory reset without a password?

And if so, would this reset the password too?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Would I be able to do a factory reset without a password?

If you're talking about a system restore with DVDs, yes.  All data on the drive will be lost.

This would get rid of all accounts on the machine so the password would no longer be an issue.

#7 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Actually I was tlaking about Repair mode, which I just discovered cannot be accessed without a password.

Unfortunately, the only Windows7 disk that I have is the repair disk that came with my sister's laptop, and it says it should only be used with a samsung computer. (mine is an HP, now with a toshiba hard drive.)

Does this mean that the repair disk won't work, or is it more a statement to avoid any liability issues?

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Contact HP to get the restore disks for your computer.  The Samsung disk may restore, but it won't activate.  If it did activate then you'll have driver issues.

#9 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Is there any other way to reset/bypass the password?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yes, many that cannot and will not be discussed on this forum.  I recommend contacting HP to get recovery disks for your machine.

#11 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Yes, many that cannot and will not be discussed on this forum.  I recommend contacting HP to get recovery disks for your machine.

Oh, yeah, I can't believe I didn't think about how this info could be misused.... :blush:

I'll try to see if I can track down the original HD owner to ask for the password, otherwise I will contact HP as you recommend.

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users