Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stick with C++ mySQL call or use mySQL++ ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

I came across a wrapper for interfacing with mySQL database which claims to be better at interfacing C++ and mySQL database called mySQL++.

Anyone have any experience with mySQL++ to say whether its better to use mySQL++ wrapper when working with C++ code that calls to mySQL database tables or to stick with C++ without this wrapper which appears to be a very useful warpper according to what I have read?

More info on it below. I just came across this last night when i was coding and was looking for a code reference to interfacing with mySQL from C++. It looks like it makes it way easier to interface and has error handling so your not having to code the error handling yourself if I read correctly on one of the google hits.

The good thing is that it supports Visual Studio 2008, 2010, 2012, as well as they have an older version available that covers VC++ 6. I learned on VC++ 5 and 6 many years ago, and currently use Visual Studio 2010 express, which hopefully this will work with the free express edition, otherwise I'd be forced to using my licensed copy of VC++ 6 which has limitations as well as could be buggy with this mySQL++ wrapper as in the warning.

http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm not sure why you're using a version of Visual Studio which is 2 major versions out of date; much less VC6 at this point. Even most of the most conservative organizations have moved on from VC6 a long time ago. The latest version matching what you're doing would be here -> http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx and is labeled "Express for Windows Desktop".

There is no such thing as "better" in software, only tradeoffs. If that library provides an interface you find easier to use and fast enough for what you want to do, then by all means use it. Otherwise, don't use it. If there was a "one true library" for a given task then we wouldn't keep other libraries around.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users