Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remote access

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 weberr24

weberr24

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I am trying to remote access my desktop which is at work xp professional from my laptop at home (windows 8) ok if I take my laptop to work with me I can do this but when I bring my laptop back home which is about 5 miles away it will not  so can somebody please help me with this.

thank you

johnny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

See if this will help you:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/allow-remote-desktop-connections-from-outside-your-home-network

An alternative option would be to use a 3rd party program such as teamviewer or logmein. Both are free and work really well.

Edited by chrisd87, 09 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 weberr24

weberr24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

ok the teamviewer  of logmein software do I need it on both pc or just one if just one which one desktop at work or the laptop at home

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

You will need it on both pc's and you will need to create an account for which ever one you choose. My vote is for teamviewer as it has a lot more options than logmein has.

http://www.teamviewer.com

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Actually with Team viewer, you can use the website, to log into a remote computer. You do not need the software installed on the machine, that you are using to remote into the other.

You do need to know the password of the other machine, and Team viewer needs to be running in Unattended mode, along with the machine needs to be running, but does not need a user logged into it.

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

if you're going to put it on one, you might as well put it on the other... Why put it on one will full functionality, but not on the other? What happens if he's at work, and he wants to remote his desktop at his house because he left an important file at home? Without having Teamviewer installed on that machine as well they're sol...

Edited by chrisd87, 09 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Sometimes you are not able to, or are using a computer that is not yours, when you need to access yours or another person's machine.

#8 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

he would have to install it on the work machine regardless if he wants to remote it. If however he's sharing his laptop at home with other users, then he would need to run it by them as well to make sure it's ok. By the way it sounds however, he's the only user on both machines. Also as far as the management console goes, you still need both machines to have it installed as it requests to open teamviewer when you launch a connect session.

capture-2.jpg

Edited by chrisd87, 09 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#9 weberr24

weberr24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

thanks everybody what about my ? in the first post how come I can remote access my work computer (desktop) with my lap top when I am work but when I come it won,t does not make any sense

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

because when you're at work you are connected to the same internal network within the same subnet. When you're at home, you're on a totally different subnet and have an ip address that does not reside on the internal company network. Also RDP is made for internal support by default and you have to add the exceptions in order for it to be able to be used outside the company.

Edited by chrisd87, 09 January 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#11 weberr24

weberr24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

ok how to do I fix this

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

visit the link that I provided in post #2

Also:

http://operating-systems.wonderhowto.com/how-to/your-complete-guide-using-remote-desktop-microsoft-surface-and-windows-8-0140290/

It involves having to forward ports on the router which you would have to take up with your network administrator.

here is this as well:

http://www.howtogeek.com/131961/how-to-access-windows-remote-desktop-over-the-internet/

Edited by chrisd87, 09 January 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#13 weberr24

weberr24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

ok thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users