Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LesCm19

LesCm19

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393442/windows-xp-freezes-at-mupsys-in-safe-modeno-administrator-passowrd/ - Hamluis.

Hello Everybody

An old XP PC we were using as a Minecraft server was having a printer driver installed when Windows unexpectedly rebooted. Since then it has been stuck in a boot loop. We get as far as the Windows startup screen then it reboots. In safe mode it hangs at the Mup.sys stage.

We have a Windows XP disc which we always used to use to get back to factory settings and I'm pretty sure we used it on this one when we acquired it but it tries ( I think!) to boot from CD but ends up booting from HD. It would not boot into Puppy Linux from CD so I did a Puppy boot from memory stick.

This worked up to editting the registry as described above but Windows is still stuck in the reboot loop.

I should say that I did ntfxfix on Windows partition 1 in Puppy as advised here: http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux-page-2.html. On first reboot it did do chkdsk before the rebooting loop started again.

What else could I try?

thanks

Les

Edited by LesCm19, 09 January 2014 - 08:29 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

I am quite happy to do a clean Windows install if there is something in Windows I can edit with Puppy to force this. Nothing on PC I need but so far I cannot get Windows CD to run (or Puppy on Cd, that hung up as well hence memory stick used)

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I had a similar situation with my XP going into the re-boot loop after trying to install an update. Now I do not now if you can still do this because you have been fiddling with the system. What I did and was able to do was restart the system in safemode with command prompt like here

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safemodexp_2.htm

at the prompt, I typed in   %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe   and followed the prompts to restore the computer to a date before the download, and it worked.

Now please note that my computer is a system 32, I am not sure what the line would be for 64.

Possibly worth a try?

#4 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

...restart the system in safemode with command prompt like here

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safemodexp_2.htm

at the prompt, I typed in   %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe   and followed the prompts to restore the computer to a date before the download, and it worked.

It is a 32bit system but it won't work for me as I can't boot into safemode anyway. The list of all the stuff it is doing scrolls past and stops after Mup.sys

I gather that is when serious things happen, hence the last thing it displays, not that mup.sys is at fault.

Thanks for reply.

If I knew more about Linux I might even just go with that.

What if I format the HD, the Windows disc should work then?

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

That's a bummer...did you ask this question in the Linux Forum here at Bleeping Computer and link with this thread? They might be able to help you out.

#6 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

...did you ask this question in the Linux Forum here at Bleeping Computer and link with this thread? They might be able to help you out.

Done.

Thanks for the heads up.

TBH if I knew anything about it I wouldn't mind using Linux. Seems to work!

Edited by LesCm19, 10 January 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#7 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

I was able to stop PC restarting on errors and managed to get a BSOD. Hurrah!

STOP: C000021a {fatal system error} and another string OXc000026c.

Anyone know what this means?

Edited by LesCm19, 10 January 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#8 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

HD passed  Sea Tools for DOS short & long tests. Should I do an Erase Track 0 to do a clean reinstall with Sea Tools? The XP Pro disc runs in my laptop so it should run in the PC in question?

#9 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I was able to stop PC restarting on errors and managed to get a BSOD. Hurrah!

STOP: C000021a {fatal system error} and another string OXc000026c.

Anyone know what this means?

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1561.)
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

:)

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#10 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

The XP Pro disc runs in my laptop so it should run in the PC in question?

If it's a full version of XP (retail or OEM) then yes :)  .

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#11 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Erase Track 0 did not start in Sea Tools for DOS. Did a full erase. Put Xp disc in. Says it is not a system disc and Linux cannot see HD. Even more confused now.

Edited by LesCm19, 10 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi - Just to dampen any hopes you did have -

If you are seeing a message like this:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
 The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
 The system has been shut down. <=(Usually followed by this)
 That indicates that the win32k.sys file has somehow become  corrupted.

It is not a HDD error (I see you tested it), but a win32k.sys file corruption error.

The XP Pro disc runs in my laptop so it should run in the PC in question?

Yes this (in my mind) is the way you should be heading, as your current win32.sys files are corrupted.

Good Luck -

#13 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Can you get into the BIOS to ensure it's set to boot from the CD first before the hard drive?

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#14 LesCm19

LesCm19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

It is set to boot from CD first but drops through to USB then HD. The XP Pro disc which I used on the PC when I first acquired it starts in every laptop in the house except the PC in question. Even a dodgy ISO download of an XP Pro disc starts in the PC but obviously fails when I go to put the product key in (which I do not have for that disc).

I don't get how if this has got damaged in some way it works in other PCs but not the one I want it to.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

There is only 1 other option I would offer in a case like this where you have the GENUINE CD

You are trying to repair or replace win32k.sys files not see if it is a faulty HDD -

I would run sfc /scannow to find corrupted files and replace them with the originals that were imprinted on the CD.

Go - Start > Run box and type sfc /scannow then press Enter

Make sure there is a space between sfc and / as it must be there. Have the CD ready to put in

When the computer asks for the CD (it will) insert it into the CD drive

This will take you 30 minutes or more, as the computer needs to copy some files, and at other times it will tell you that "The installed system has more recent versions of the files" (called Updates).

I think you can only repair in 2 ways. The above method, or your CD should be able to be set to boot from BIOS, which would give you the repair install method -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users