Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Repair Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kinoss

Kinoss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

My wife recently cracked her laptop screen so I ordered a replacement from a random website with cheap prices (maybe not the best of choices in hindsight).

Anyways, I got the replacement and noticed the model number of the new screen was slightly different, but other than that the pins and connections seemed correct. So I figured I'd try it out before complaining to tech support. During boot up, in the BIOS, and in safe mode everything looks perfectly fine, but when it gets into windows the screen starts flickering. My first thought was maybe the refresh rate is off, so I tried changing it, but that wasn't the problem. I also updated the video drivers, and still no luck. I contact tech support and they give me a list of things that I've already tried. So I tell them I want to exchange for the correct model.

Finally I get the new screen in the mail and they've sent me the exact same model they sent the first time. Whatever, maybe there was a problem with the screen they sent before. So I try plugging it in again, and the issues are exactly the same. I re-open my support ticket with them and complain. They say that the model they sent me is compatible with the laptop, and is an upgraded model. Also that they no longer sell the old model I need, even though it is listed on their website for sale. Thankfully they offered to take the screen back and give me a refund, but I figured might as well see if anyone on the internet has any suggestions. Maybe this screen does work with the laptop.

TLDR:

Dell Inspiron 1470

Cracked model: LP140WH2 (TL)(N2) Glossy

Replacement: LP140WH2 (TL)(FA) Matte

Replacement screen works fine during boot up, in BIOS, and Safe Mode. I've updated drivers, changed refresh rate, and changed resolutions. The screen flickers when in windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

You used 60HZ for a refresh rate, correct? An LCD screen is made to work with a refresh rate of 60HZ. According to Dell you have the Intel G45 or AMD radeon graphics chip. Which do you have? What is your OS and is it 32bit or 64bit.

#3 Kinoss

Kinoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Yes, 60Hz. Using the intel chip on windows 7 64bit.

#4 Kinoss

Kinoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ok, something new is happening. I must have unintalled the graphics drivers earlier to see if that would make a change. Anyway, I installed the newest drivers and now my screen is flickering 3 times consecutively every 3 seconds. If I switch the refresh rate to 40Hz, which is the only other option other than 60Hz, it will flicker a little more often. Seems definitely like a driver issue.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Remove the current graphics driver in control panel Uninstall.

Then install the Intel Graphics Driver. (Is this the driver you installed?)

THis driver is for the Intel G45 graphics chip. Please confirm that this is your graphics chip. Right click your desktop>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings. It's under the adapter tab.

#6 Kinoss

Kinoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Yeah that's the one I just had installed. Also when I uninstalled all graphic drivers and there is no flickering at all. Of course my resolution is really limited and graphics are slow. As soon as I install either the newest drivers, or the one provided by dell, it starts blinking again.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Here is a link that solved the problem for one person. It references windows 8 but it may also work for Windows 7.

#8 Kinoss

Kinoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks! That specific answer didn't solve my problem, but it got me looking into windows power settings in control panel. I saw somewhere someone mentioned changing the brightness of the screen fixed the problem, and that my brightness was 2 ticks away from max brightness. I turned up the brightness and now the flickering is gone. Now clearly something is wrong in that I can't lower the brightness without flickering, but I can live with this solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users