Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mike ritchie

mike ritchie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

i have a pc which wont boot up . i get error message " unmountable boot volume stop;0x000000ed
i dont have a windows cd to boot from , is there any other way i can get this pc running. it is a compaq desktop pc
any help would be very much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hi mike.
What model compaq is this and did XP come pre-installed?
You most likely have a hidden recovery partition from which you can do a non-destructive restore.
Before you go there though, check to see if the recovery console is installed first.
See the below article, it'll walk you through it.
If recovery console is not on the HD itself, post that model number back please.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Using a Recovery Console to Resolve Startup Issues

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It appears as though you need your original Windows CD so you can boot into the Recovery Console to attempt a repair. More info HERE.

It can also mean your hard drive has gone bad.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

If you have another computer available you can slave your drive into it and run chkdsk.
You can do that by going to My Computer, right click on drive, go to properties, click the tools tab and then run Error Checking. OR From a command prompt, switch to the drive letter assigned to the drive then run
CHKDSK /R.
While you have it in the other computer you could also run Virus and Spyware scans on the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users