Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pull Photos from damaged XP machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hey everyone.

Trying to help a friend pull some photos off an old XP machine which appears to be heavily infected and has several other issues as well (unable to locate / see Start Button and the Taskbar).

Here's the basics and what I'm looking for.

Machine is a Compaq Presario running XP Home Edition SP2 and a whopping 256 MB of RAM.

I've run both MBAM on it (located & removed 17 issues) and also ran the online ESET scan, which found (and cleaned) another 20 infections, mostly Trojans.

Except for the photos, there is nothing else that she wants off of this machine. Mostly likely it will become just another in my on-going collection of old XP boxes I'm collecting in the basement.   :lol:

Once I've turned the machine on, there are two profiles available, but when I click on either one, it takes me to a desktop with desktop icons but no Start Button or Taskbar. I've tried all the usual tricks (CTRL + ESC) and also killing explorer.exe in the Task Manager and running it again but that didn't work.

I am able to get into Safe Mode with Networking if I need to, and once I'm in there I can see (and log into) the Administrator profile.

I have tried both a USB and also a blank CD (yeah it has a Re-Writable drive) and dragging the photos to either one (both of which I can see under My Computer) but nothing happens. I even tried the Send To option but again, I don't get a bleep, a pop up or anything.

When I'm looking at the pics in My Photos, I can CTRL+A and all of them are selected and then I use COPY from the right-click menu but where ever I go, the PASTE option is not available (greyed-out).

So, at the end of the day, anyone have any ideas how to easily pull these photos off? I am not interested in trying to repair or clean the machine (not worth it, IMHO).

I'm also not opposed to trying some flavor of Linux on a USB if you think that will work but I've never done it before.

I do have several distros parked on my machine and a empty USB big enough for Linux and all the photos that I would like to get to.

Just looking for some advice on how to best go about it.

Thanks,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Can you try using Command Prompt and use the following:

copy *.* tonewlocation where new location would be the path.

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Tried that (leaving no spaces when I typed it in and also several other variants) to the F: drive (which shows my USB) and I keep getting the "is not recognized as an internal or external command....etc" message.

I've renamed the USB, so it shows, for example Winterland (F:)...would that have any impact on this process?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Winterland

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Easiest way I found to move files and photos is using a small linux distro like Puppy. I would download  the 5.2.8  iso as I have found that to be more compatible with older computers. Burn the iso file and boot Puppy. Then move copy the files according to this guide. Good Luck.

Edit: changed move to copy. Copy is safer.

Edit: clicking once on your  hard drive in the bottom left of the desktop will automatically mount it. Same for your USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I'm old school and would pull the drive and connect it to a working machine with a USB adapter and pull the files.  This would be a good time to talk about backups and possibly online backups.

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the info, feedback and links.

JohnC_21, tried that Lucid Puppy and everything you gave me worked like a charm. :thumbup2:

Created the USB without any issues, again thanks to the link (it was crazy easy) but I cannot seem to get this Compaq Presario 6000 to boot from it.

Tried to do some of the obvious trouble shooting - rebooted and got into the BIOS (revision 3.02  08/27/02) and looked under the Boot Menu which gives me six options:

• Boot-time Diagnostic Screen  (which I've got Enabled)
  • Quick Boot Mode  (which I've got Disabled)

• 1)  Removable Device - which lists  Disabled  /  Legacy Floppy  /  LS120  /  ZIP  /  ATAPI MO  /  USB FDD  and USB ZIP
  • 2) ATAPI CD-ROM - which shows my CD-R/RW
  • 3) IDE Hard Device - which shows my HDD
  • 4) Other Boot Device - which shows INT18 Device (Network)

Now, in the Removable Device category I tried both USB FDD as well as the USB ZIP.

When I've selected the USB ZIP it attempts to boot up and then just sits there with a black screen and a little blinking cursor.

When the USB FDD option is selected it just boots right up into Windows.

There are two USB ports on the front of this machine and I've tried them both. Used some compressed air on them as well hoping for the easy fix but it does not seem to be working.

The other option I've tried to investigate is looking for the Boot Order but unless it's really buried in the BIOS, I could not find that option.

RKilroy - good evening to you and thanks for checking in, love the avatar, btw.

I've considered pulling the drive and still will if it comes to that. Pretty sure I've got one of them Cables-To-Go USB to IDE somewhere around this cluttered computer area.

As for the backups, yeah, I've had that talk with this friend just last month now that her net book is on the way out. She's got everything on >that machine< pulled out and backed up but alas, this is an old machine and I didn't know her back when.

Which leads me to this moment.

Any other thoughts and/or ideas, please keep 'em coming and thanks to everyone that has checked in.

If I come across a resolve or a break though, I'll give a shout.

Winterland

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Have you tried burning the puppy  iso to a CD? .

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Just did it right now and that Puppy is loading as I type.

Details soon.

Thanks!

Winterland

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hey, hey JohnC_21...I love me some Puppy.

Round One is down and I'm copying all the photos that I grabbed (several hundred) to my local machine right now.

That Lucid Puppy Live CD worked like a charm and copying every thing over to my USB was....well, ain't gonna lie, wasn't hard but I was still nervous.

I'm going to go back in and grab the rest.

Anyone needs any other info please let me know, otherwise, again, thanks to every one who checked in and offered up some help.

I love this place.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users