Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left click to open web pages or 'forum' topics returns PC to Desktop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium & use Firefox v 26 as my web browser. I just up-dated to FF v 26 from v 22 where i also had the problem.

Every now & again,if i left click on a web page or a photo / item within a webpage,or if i'm in a music forum which i visit daily & left click on a topic to view it,the page or 'whatever' doesn't open,the PC returns directly to my desktop display.This only occurs in FF,not in IE v8. Also,it doesn't happen if i select  'open in a new tab' using FF. Within FF i have selected the tab option ''open new windows in a new tab instead''

which usually works fine,but now & then,the required items don't open anywhere & i'm gazing at my desktop once more.

Have you any idea regarding any setting(s)  that might require re-setting or anything at all that might be causing this to happen ?,

Many thanks - Ivan

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

So are you saying that Firefox crashes?

#3 ΣΩ

ΣΩ

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

I've found FF to be glitchy that way as well; live links can be quite different across the board, whether in-page or external; I simply wheel or middle click the links to open in a new tab, works every time.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

When you restart FF does it take you back to the page you were on or to your start page? Usually this is due to conflicting add-ons. One way to test this theory is by disabling the most recent added add-ons. If no success you can disable them all and start readding them one at a time. Or you can uninstall FF and reinstall it. I believe that FF gets in too big of a  hurry to upgrade and don't work out the bugs before forcing you to upgrade.

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

No,it's not a 'crash'. If it was,i'd get the crash report screen. My PC backs out of FF & anything i've been looking at,& just returns to the desktop display. If i go back into FF & select 'whatever' to 'open link in a new tab',it works fine,as it does in IE.

KingdomSeeker - Thanks for that,but i've already tried FF with the add-ons disabled & it still returns to 'desktop'. Even clicking on 'some' photos but not others within a website will return my PC to desktop. Quote - "I believe that FF gets in too big of a  hurry to upgrade and don't work out the bugs before forcing you to upgrade" Too true !. If FF was so darned good,why the ongoing updates to higher versions ?. I understand that things need to improve,but Microsoft is on IE v11 after all the years it's been running, & already FF is on v 26 .I did un-install FF v22 & then install v26 - same result.

The easy way out for me is to either use IE,or to always 'open link in a new tab',which it's set to do anyway - but doesn't unless i manually select it. It's no big problem,but something isn't working correctly. I'm a musician & belong to several music 'forums'. Every now & then,clicking on a 'thread' to open it,closes FF down & i have to go back & log in all over again - it's a real PITA !! :angry:

Ivan

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

When you do bring firefox back up, are you presented with a page that asks you to restore tabs?

Something that looks like this:

2dqtsnl.jpg

If so, then you are experiencing a crash.

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

One possible solution: Comodo IceDragon is almost identical to FF and even uses FF plugins but without the trouble. I've been using it exclusively for a couple months with no issues.

#8 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

Hi cryptodan - No,i just get my desktop display,no error messages or anything at all. Maybe i should be thankful for that. I've often wondered if something in my ''pop-up blocker'' is reacting to part of the URL of the item i'm trying to view / read & preventing it from opening,it's a mystery. I suppose i could disable the pop-up blocker when i find something i can't open & try it again. Somehow,i doubt that this is the problem though - however .........,

Ivan

#9 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Hello again - How's this for a laugh ?. Last week while searching for some info.on a BBC wildlife TV prog.(Winterwatch) ,i discovered that using F/Fox v 26 along with ANY search engine ie.Google / Yahoo / Startpage etc. - i can't open up any page with the word 'Hamster' in it !!!. What the h**l is going on ?????. Everything is fine with IE. I un-installed F.Fox & re-installed it,still no joy. I did follow my own advice above & disabled my pop-up blocker  - no difference. When my PC was built for me,it had We-Blocker installed to prevent any 'naughty' things being displayed.Unfortunately as i didn't install it,i don't know the password to un-install it & i doubt very much if the friend who built it

would remember it either. However,i doubt if this is the problem,as until a few weeks back,everything worked perfectly - any ideas folks ?,

Ivan

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Have a look here:

WHAT CAN I DO IF MY PC RUNS SLOWLY AFTER INSTALLING WE-BLOCKER?

You may notice a slight reduction in performance when browsing ONLY if you have the word-blocking feature activated, so check and make sure this is not activated if you see a reduction in performance. This is found in user settings ("Block sites that contain bad words").
I FORGOT MY PASSWORD; NOW WHAT?

Right-Click the We-Blocker icon in the lower right corner of the screen near the place where time is displayed.
Select "Master Controls".
Press "Forgot master password?"
You will be prompted for your secret question. Type in its answer.
You will then be prompted to change your master password. Do so.
SOMETIMES I GET A BLANK PAGE EVEN WHEN I HEAR THE "BLOCKED" ALERT. WHY DO I NOT GET A BLOCKED NOTIFICATION PAGE?

Sometimes pages that have not been blocked have images that have been blocked on them. Instead of modifying the layout of the page, We-Blocker attempts to replace the image with a blank image that simply blends in with the background of the webpage, giving the appearance of a blank page.

- http://www.safefamilies.org/weblockfaqs.php

You may wish to contact them to see how to recover your password or provide you assistance with removal without a password.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hello again - How's this for a laugh ?. Last week while searching for some info.on a BBC wildlife TV prog.(Winterwatch) ,i discovered that using F/Fox v 26 along with ANY search engine ie.Google / Yahoo / Startpage etc. - i can't open up any page with the word 'Hamster' in it !!!. What the h**l is going on ?????.

Ivan

You have the hamster virus buddy... lol.

#12 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Oh RATTTTTTTTTS!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

#13 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hi all - I finally found out what was causing some websites / forum threads etc. to 'close'. Ages ago i found a neat pop-up blocker called ''Kill Jasmine''. I liked it because if you got a new pop-up ,you could add the first few characters of the pop-up name to the list, & it would prevent the same pop-up occuring again. However,it seems as though there were some pop-up 'names' with some sort of similarity to 'whatever' i was trying to open & Kill Jasmine closed them down. I un-installed it & i've been fine. Weird how something you've been using for ages can suddenly become a problem.

I've installed Adblocker Plus which seems to be doing a really good job. I'll see how long it takes for that to louse up !!,

Ivan 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users