Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7Pro64b throws errors during some Win Updates and other installs/uninstalls

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twdal

twdal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'm down to simply trying to install Java 7u45 i586 but every time I run it I get a Java Setup error message "Error 1336. There was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation."

That's just the most recent of many errors related to creating or accessing temp files.  This system definitely has plenty of room in the temp folders, which are empty to begin with.

The first time temp files were mentioned was when I let Windows Update install a bunch of updates. About 15 installed fine but when a .NET Framework 4 update tried to install it never finished. Ultimately I'd close the updater and stop the update service.  The Event Log showed a long list of the same error:

"Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile -- Error 1711. An error occurred while writing installation information to disk.  Check to make sure enough disk space is available, and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install."

I restarted the system, ran Windows Update, unchecked all NET Framework-related updates and successfully installed a number of remaining updates. 

I then tried repairing the NET Framework 4 installation (an uninstaller option) but it too eventually threw a temp file-related error. Haven't tried uninstalling it because I suspect it's needed by Quicken or some other program.

Besides these Windows Update problems I got temp-file related errors when I tried to install the old version of Java (v7u5) and Google Earth. A FixIt for installing/uninstalling problems allowed me to ultimately remove them.

I've run Chkdsk and a few items were fixed.  I've scanned the drive online and offline using NOD32 7, Stinger, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, GMER, hitmanpro, tdsskiller, and Malwarebytes. Nothing was found.

I find it weird that so many updates did install successfully as did Malwarebytes and these other malware scanners, plus EasyBCD and a few other programs. Yet, Java v7u5 won't install. And then there were the errors when I tried uninstalling stuff. 

BTW, I have an XP partition on another drive in the system and I have no such problems on it, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Drivers? Hmm.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users