Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full hdd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 111

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

I have an older hp laptop with 40 gb hd. Not many programs at all but only have 1-1.5 space left.what can I do to free space other than disk defrag & cleanup? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

disable hibernation, shrink your recycle bin, shrink or disable system restore, shrink temp. internet files, dump old mail if using a local mail client.

Also install CCleaner to remove kruft and fix registry issues. Much better than Windows disc cleanup.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

From a command prompt

DEL *.log /s

DEL *.TMP /s

DEL C:\Windows\$*.*

The first line will delete all log files.  The second will deleted temporary files.  These will clean up a little space, but not a whole lot

The third line will delete the uninstalls for service packs and updates.  This will probably give you quite a bit of space back

Honestly your best bet it to replace the drive with a larger drive.

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Ahh yes... forgot about the update uninstallers. CCleaner can remove them too, BTW

#5 111

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

So I've cleaned up like advised.should 7 ultimate take up that much space?Thx

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

MS says win7 64-bit takes a minimum of 20GB. If you install XP mode also, it takes an additional 15GB

I'm setting up a win7 pro machine right now. Fully updated, 5GB recycle bin, no hibernation, 8GB paging file, and office 2013. current used space= 34.6GB

Like RKilroy said, best fix is a bigger drive. Running a drive at near capacity is slow, and hard on the drive due to excessive fragmentation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users