Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD combo drive plays DVDs but won't detect CD-R discs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterk312

peterk312

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Someone gave me a used Samsung TS-H429C, a DVD/CD burner combo drive (DVD is read only), but it can't detect blank CDs and can't read from a CD-R or write to CD-R discs.. It can do all the following:

-Read a Recovery CD to boot Windows
-Play Audio Cds
-Read DVDs

But for some reason the writable CDs are not being detected. This happens with Memorex, Verbatim, and Fuji CD-R discs. I tried burning with 2 different software applications: Nero and Cyberlink DVD Solutions. They both detect the optical drive but upon loading a CD-R they don't indicate a disc is inserted. I updated the firmware for the drive and validated the install. I see through researching this on the Internet that other people who have the read-only DVD/writable CD combo drive have had this problem, and it appears there's no common fix. I thought maybe it was the region code of the drive, but I read that the region code shouldn't affect writing a blank CD.

I also read that if the drive can be used to boot the system from the recovery CD (and it can) then it's probably not a hardware problem.

The system is a (somewhat dated from 2003) Compaq EVO-D310. The drives have an ATA controller interface, but the Samsung optical combo drive (also somewhat dated from 2006) is compatible. I'm using Windows XP. Anybody know what might be wrong?

Another Q:  If I scrap this optical drive and just get a new DVD burner, given my system has an ATA/IDE type interface, if the DVD burner has an SATA interface (more common now than ATA) can I use an adapter like you see here: http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Covert-Interface-Motherboard/dp/B009SO7R0U or is there something bad about doing this?

Edited by peterk312, 08 January 2014 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'd recommend against using an adapter and instead going with a SATA Controller  New Egg no longer carries an IDE desktop drive.

#3 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Four things today that I tried to get the TS-H429C combo drive to work with CD-R media:

1. reset drivers:
in device manger - uninstalled the optical drive. Rebooted and allow everything to reinstall.

Result: no change

2. Registry: deleted UpperFilters and LowerFilters entry for the optical drive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

then selected the GUID for an optical drive, which is:
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

LowerFilters entry was deleted (there was no UpperFilters) Exited and restarted the computer.

Result: No change to the players performance. The reg key was still deleted upon restart.

3. Uninstalled Nero (in case it had locked the drive with some kind of copy protection).

Result:  no change for CD-R detection.

4. Removed the drive, removed the case, and checked and cleaned the laser lens.

Result: Interesting-- At first, very slow for a CD-R disc to load, but it  opened two of my Sony CD-R, a Fujifilm CD-R, but then stopped opening CD-R media again. CDs such as the Windows Boot CD still open fine. The drive clearly has a problem detecting blank CD media, but does fine with Blank DVD media.

What would cause DVD-R to open but CD-R not detected? A weak laser? When I opened the device to clean it, I could see there's only one laser lens. But I read this on another forum: "DVD Drives have 2 LED's to generate the Laser Beams one for DVD and one for CD. When one of the LED's losses intensity you have to replace the drive." Is this generally true?

Edited by peterk312, 09 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Whenever I start having issues with my optical drive I just replace it.  The time and effort I spend trying to get it to work just isn't worth the $25 it costs to replace.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Agree with RKilroy, that's my approach.

A $25 item isn't worth the time and energy to investigate on a computer system...the time spent trying to figure out something that you are not equipped to troubleshoot...can be better spent by just getting a new drive.  Optical drives fail every day, much like hard drives do...but optical drives are substantially cheaper to replace.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users