Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SquigSquag

SquigSquag

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Recently I turned on my custom built pc and it wouldnt connect to the internet. I then opened the device manager and it gave me Code:31 for my network adapter, btw this is a hardwired pc, no wireless. I was wondering what i should.do about this? It also says that the drivers wouldnt load the drivers required for the device. Im running windows 64 bit, im a noob when it comes to things like this so try not to confuse me :) any help is appriciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer SquigSquag :)

Were there any issues or changes before this started to happen? Try downloading the driver from the manufacturing support site and see how it went. If the problem persist then it could be a bad NIC as it needs to be replaced.

Tekken

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Jhayz posted while I was writing my response. As he is more experienced please try his suggestions first.

Hi SqigSquag and welcome to BC. First please go back to device manager and clicl to uninstall the drivers. Then reboot and see if Windows will correctly install them. If not then please try this.

1. Click start, type regedit in the start search box and press enter.

2. Navigate to HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. In the right pane, right click upper filters and then delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the Upper Filters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click Lower Filters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 08 January 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#4 SquigSquag

SquigSquag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Well i have no internet acess other than the cell phone i am using to post here, so i have no way of downloading the drivers.

#5 SquigSquag

SquigSquag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Can you specify what acessing the regestry would do and what would it change.

#6 SquigSquag

SquigSquag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Also, ive used this computer for moths now and its never done this, if that helps at all.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Were there any issues or changes before this started to happen? Try downloading the driver from the manufacturing support site and see how it went. If the problem persist then it could be a bad NIC as it needs to be replaced.

You can use a known working computer to download and reinstall the pertained network adapter to a USB flash drive.

Tekken

#8 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Reinstalling the proper driver is the best fix. However if there is no way you can download the driver from another source, you could try installing the generic network driver and see if that gives you any, even if slow and non-dependable network access.  With this you could go download the driver.

One fast test would be to set the driver to generic, open your command prompt and type "ping 127.0.0.1" and press enter.  If you do not get a reply it would be extremely likely that you need to replace the NIC.

With how cheap most NIC's are it may just be easier and cheaper in the long run to go buy one anyway. It is fairly easy to remove the old NIC from the tower and bring it with you so you ensure that you get one that will fit the dimension and pin-out of the NIC in your system, but it should be PCI.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

You could also try this for installing the generic driver IF you are using the built in adapter on the motherboard.

Go to Device Manager.

Expand Network Adapters.

RIGHT click on your adapter, choose Uninstall.

Confirm uninstall.

Reboot your computer. When rebooting Windows should find the device.

When you get to your desktop you should see Windows telling you it found a new device and drivers are being installed. This will be seen on the lower right hand side of your screen.

After they are installed it will tell you the device is ready for use.

See if you can connect to the internet.

IF you are using a separate network card you will need to get the drivers from the card manufacturer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 January 2014 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users