Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't detect my GPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Renegatz

Renegatz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hello guys,

I've been brought here by trouble regarding my Nvidia GPU. Two days ago, I was prompted to install a new driver for it (by the card's own program, as usual). I accepted, and launched the installation. At first, it told me that Steam was preventing it from installing, and asked me if I'd like to shut it down and install again. I clicked yes, but Steam didn't exit, and the driver was starting to install, so I exited Steam manually.

After this I had to leave the PC for a bit, but when I returned it had restarted, claiming that 'a problem caused an unexpected shutdown' etc.

Since then, I tried playing a few games but noted very poor performance. I instantly thought of the driver again and checked out my Nvidia software. The hitch: My card is completely undetectable. I have tried re-downloading the driver, only for it to find no Nvidia GPU itself. My computer has switched to using the integrated graphics (hence the terrible performance in games) and this is all that shows up in Windows Devices. In Nvidia GeForce Experience, there's just a blank space everywhere my card model is supposed to be listed.

So, do you think this is something you can help me with? Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

PC model: Lenovo Ideapad Z500

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT635M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Just do a restore to an earlier date.

#3 Renegatz

Renegatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Unfortunately I've tried this, to no avail.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Can you go into device manager and rollback the driver.

#5 Renegatz

Renegatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

I can't, because the GPU isn't even on the list of devices any more, as I said in the OP.

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Whats the device its showing under display adapter right now? This is a laptop right?

Because the ideapad comes with integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

Or did you replace the video.

Heres the drivers for The laptop:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS032587

#7 Renegatz

Renegatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Believe it or not, a simple BIOS update appears to have fixed it. Thanks a lot for the help, Roodo.

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Glad you got it fixed :bananas:

#9 Renegatz

Renegatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hmm, okay, looks like this problem is back with a vengeance, this time for no reason (wasn't installing the update or anything).

Because of this happening again, I'm pretty sure now that I somehow messed things up with my driver updates.

Could anybody with an Nvidia GPU lend a hand? Looking at my files, outside of Program Files I have an NVIDIA folder with seemingly two updates in the 'DisplayDriver' folder (331.82 and 332.21). I'm thinking I may have ended up with untidied leftovers from previous versions after a driver update. Any advice please? :(

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Download an older version of the driver from the nvidia archive, when you install the software do the "clean install" method. This should remove the new driver components. If the device is completely gone from device manager, I might suspect you have a physical hardware problem. Even if the driver is a problem, the hardware should appear in device manager. It is possible there is an issue with windows. You could try booting into a linux distro, something like parted magic, linux mint, or anything you prefer and see if the hardware profile sees the nvidia gpu.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users