Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!!! USB ports wont work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimipre

jimipre

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have a Dell Latitude with Win7-Pro 32bit, after using Macrium reflect to make an image backup to a Seagate 3 Terabyte Hard drive, and my USB ports stopped working immediately after, This happened on Dec 18, and I was traveling, so i did not need my usb ports. Now I am back, to work and i cant get anything (printer, scanner, external hard drive, jump drive) to work. Is their a fix for this?

I have run full scans with Malwarebytes, Super-anti-spyware, Avast, ADWcleaner, WiseRegistyFix, WinUtilities, and Updated all out of date drivers that have anything to do with USB ports. The scans found a few minor things that where easily cleaned. Othwerwise, the computer is working great, ripping fast after all of thsese scans. 

I also used Macrium Refclect on the same day, with my Lenovo Laptop, Win7-HOMe 64bit, and the USB ports work just fine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I do not know your model number but some Dell's allow you to run a diagnostic on the hardware by pressing f12 during boot. Check to see if there is an error on the USB ports.

http://www.solano.edu/technology/data/D610/delldiag.htm

If it is not available using F12, use Dell's online check. Select Hardware>USB or any other hardware you would like checked.

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Does windows even act like a device has been plugged in when you connect a USB device?  Any disconnect / connect noise?

You might try removing all USB devices, and open Device Manager.

Once there expand the treee under Universal Serial Bus controllers.  Right click on all the devices listed and select uninstall.  If for some reason Windows doesn't immediately reinstall the drivers, click the Action menu at the top and select Scan for hardware changes.  It will reinstall all the drivers automatically.

I've run into this problem quite a few times.  This fix doesn't always work, but it's good for diagnosing other potential problems.

Edited by Trakeen, 11 January 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#4 jimipre

jimipre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

I started the computer as admin and the USB where working. So, I logged in as my self again, and they kept on working. Go Figure.

Thanks, for your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users