Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating from XP to 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dantranchina

dantranchina

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

A client is getting new PC's with windows 7. I am planning on using the windows easy transfer tool. I want to know, If I copy over the appdata folder, will this pull all settings from all programs, almost as if there was no change? If this is the case, should I install the programs, and then overwrite the appdata folder with the one from the old machines, or move app data and then install?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'm not certain I understand what you're doing. The title says you're going from XP to W7 - is that right? Does that mean you currently have an XP system and are getting a new W7 system? If so, you can save data and nothing else. As for programs, they need to be installed from scratch on any new install.

Edited by Allan, 08 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Are these machines on a domain, or are they just separate workstations, on a Work group?  If on a domain, what server software are you using.  Keep in mind, that if these machines are on a domain, the GPO for the XP machines, will not transfer properly over to the Windows 7 machines.

#4 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

I agree with Allan. If you are looking at exporting and importing the profile appdata between the builds its not a good idea. However in a corporate environment, the minute the user who use to be on XP logs on to a Windows 7 system that has been joined to the domain, a new profile will be created on those systems unless the user has a roaming profile. If the user has a roaming profile it should logon with no problems and the system will work it all out as to what data is required in the appdata for that machine for whatever programs etc are on the local system etc. However I have seen profiles act up between XP and 7 with roaming profiles sometimes and when this happens you just need to delete and recreate a new profile.

Systems that are part of a domain will allow users to logon for the first time on a new system that was joined to the domain and as long as all local applications are set to all users or a user group that the user is a part of, then no migration is needed between old xp systems and new Win 7 systems.

If these systems are not part of a corporate network and are instead a server-less peer network, then you will probably run into problems with migration. The problem is where you have different software between systems old and new and have orphan appdata entries etc which will either remain as orphan entries and not cause problems or not.

There is this tool that I have heard works, but I have not used it yet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832300030

Edited by goldfist, 08 January 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Here is some information on how to use the "User State Migration Tool (USMT)" http://www.nextofwindows.com/migrating-user-profile-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7/  Microsoft Technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/dd671583.aspx  More information http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d6f07e8-e5ce-45b6-9234-865ae0749051/move-windows-xpvista7-user-profiles-to-windows-server-2008-r2?forum=winserverTS

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

That does not move programs or program settings. We're getting way off track here guys. Let's just wait for the OP to return.

#7 dantranchina

dantranchina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Guys,

I am sorry I was not more clear, and did not respond faster. Here is the whole scenario.

The user now has an XP machine, and just got a brand new windows 7 machine. I am aware that it is NOT possible to move programs. I plan on transferring his files, folders etc using windows Migration Tool. The question I have is this: For example, we will use Microsoft Office.

He has Office 2010 on the XP machine, and he will have 2010 on the New Win7 Machine. He has been creating an Auto Correct List for years and does not want to lose it. This file is a .acl (auto correct list) file and is stored in the AppData folder(hidden) in his user profile. I know that I can just move this file and replace the default .acl file that is created when I install office on the new machine. I was wondering though, can I move the whole Microsoft Office Folder containted in the appdata folder, which contains all settings for all office programs?

This is just an example of one program. I just want some clarification on migration of the AppData folder. Will it work to move the whole folder? Maybe just certain program folders set in there?

I am sorry if this is not clear on what I am trying to do, I think I explained it the best I can.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I honestly don't know. What I suggest you do is copy the folder and try, but do not delete the default folder on the new system. Just rename it temporarily and see what happens. I would do this with the individual program folders, not the entire appdata folder.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

That does not move programs or program settings. We're getting way off track here guys. Let's just wait for the OP to return.

Of course not. It is for migrating profiles. Guess you did not read anything in the links.

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Just install Office 2010 on the new machine, copy the files in their Documents folder, photos, videos, music through the network to the new machine.

I keep a copy on a Lenovo ix2-4 NAS for local file sharing, and also keep copies of files on a Owncloud server that our family owns, along with a Box.com cloud drive, just in case the other two are not accessible.

The whole Windows migration tool, that Microsoft loaded into Windows, those of us that have tried it, will tell you first hand, that it is a failure, and will not work like Microsoft states.

Anytime I get a new machine, I do as I stated in the first paragraph, which is the simple way of doing it.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Just install Office 2010 on the new machine, copy the files in their Documents folder, photos, videos, music through the network to the new machine.

The OP understands that. That's not the question at hand.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

The OP understands that. That's not the question at hand.
We have already given the solution and answered their question. What part is it that you are not following.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users