Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 64-bit ? Is this right ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 farmerbb

farmerbb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

I have an IntelliStation Z Pro 6221, with dual Xeons, and I have installed 8 GB - more than the current XP Pro will recognise, but then sitting in the optical drive is an official Win7 64-bit DVD.  Ready to be installed !  Too bad I cannot get the 6221 to even understand it is there.  I changed the Setup to boot from the CD/DVD first, and in fact during the XP Pro boot sequence, I get a quick question asking if I want to do that.  You have to be quick, but I hit the "any" key.  Trouble is, the drive light came on before the question, and never after, as it continued to boot XP Pro.  Running SETUP from the DVD is not accepted by the machine.  Any suggestions would be MOST welcome, especially if they work !  I will be so grateful I will tell you about something that may prove of interest. (Holds breath....)

Latest news is that I am told this cannot be done, I have to format the C: drive, and install Win7-64 new.  Has anyone done this ?  If the 32-bit OS won't recognise a 64-bit SETUP.EXE, I have zero confidence that the BIOS alone will recognise the DVD and run the installation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'd say the optical drive may be having troubles. Have you tried using an external DVD drive thru USB and boot thru that? Or do you have another DVD ROM drive available to swap out with this drive to see if that fixes this?

#3 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

I checked that the optical drive would read other DVD's, and it seems OK, and if I use Explorer to check the DVD contents, the files are there, but the SETUP errors out with a comment it is not a Win-32 application.  Makes sense, in a perverted sort of way.....MS will let you install a 64-bit OS if you already have a 64-bit OS running.  I also tried getting the IMG version, and unzipped it, with the same results.  I am reliably told that you CANNOT install Win7 64 on an XP Pro or any other 32bit OS.  Format time, and then cross your fingers that the OS-less machine will somehow recognise the DVD and install Win7 64.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Remove the Win7 64-bit DVD and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

You have been told that you cannot install Windows 7 64-bit onto your 32-bit system

--- I do not know this as a fact right now but I suspect it’s true since the drivers on your computer are for 32-bit

--- If your computer is 64-bit capable, then it might be possible but I’d like to believe the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor will report what you are up against plus you would have to find out how the 64-bit capability can be implemented

But there is good news if you want to consider it

--- Why not upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit and make it easier on yourself?

On the installed 8 GB, is the motherboard capable of handling it?

--- You can go to www.crucial.com to find out the maximum memory it can handle

On the fact that the Win7 64-bit DVD isn’t recognized, I suppose it’s possible the software is looking for a 64-bit driver; but when it cannot find it, it just closes itself out

Read Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

#5 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

According to the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor, pretty much anything will handle it.  Processor 1 GHz, and not much memory or free disk space.  I have dual 3.06 GHz processors, and the motherboard supports the 8 GB which I have installed.  The solution seems to be to format the hard drive and install Win7 64 'clean'.  There is NO repeat NO direct upgrade from 32-bit XP to Win7 64.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

This is correct, there is no upgrade path, you have to do a clean install.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Can someone say with certainty that the Win7 64 upgrade DVD will be recognised and acted upon but a PC that after the format, has only the BIOS ?  I am afraid I will go from a PC that works, even if only XP Pro, to one that has no OS installed, and will not boot from the DVD.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

You will have to boot from the DVD to install the 64 bit version.  During the install it will wipe the drive and reformat it.  You may need to check your BIOS settings to allow you to boot from the DVD.  Make sure that booting from optical drives is enabled and that the optical drive is set to boot before the hard drive.  You can change this back after the Windows 7 install.

#9 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the response, but sorry, that does not work. I changed SETUP to boot from the optical first, and it does check the drive (the light comes on during boot) and it asks the question "Do you want to boot from the CD ?"  I click the ANY key, and it never looks at the optical again, it just boots into XP Pro.  A DIR on the optical reveals a SETUP.EXE, but it will not run - an error message that it is not a Win32 application.  Please excuse  me if I think Microsoft is unbelievably stupid to deliver an upgrade disk that won't run in the OS you are upgrading from.  The ONLY way to upgrade from XP Pro (I am reliably told) is to format the drive first, then see & hope if the optical is able to be recognised as a bootable drive, and that it all works from there on in.

#10 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

My question is now down to this one point.  Has anyone done a format of the XP Pro disk, then had a successful installation of Win7 64, using the Win7 64 upgrade disk ?

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

I've done it with blank disks, essentially the same thing.  But, if you aren't able to boot from the Windows 7 disk I can't tell you if it will work for you.  You might try and downloading Darik's Boot and Nuke.  You can burn the ISO to a disk and see if you can boot from that.  You don't need to wipe the drive, but this will clear up the ability to boot from the optical drive as you don't have to press a key to boot from it.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Is your XP Pro a 64-bit system?

From what you've posted it appears it isn't

Do you not want to go the way of Windows 7 32-bit?

--- I know it will cost a few $$ but unfortunately sometimes computer work isn't very flexible

If you do not have 64-bit drivers in your computer, is it possible the 64-bit version will load?

--- Right now I don't see how but maybe I'll learn something here

It's true you can burn an ISO to a disc but I believe the ISO needs to be the same type of system in the computer which includes 32-bit or 64-bit

Even though the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor passes it just dawned on me it doesn't accomodate 32-bit vs 64-bit and it doesn't know you want to do 64-bit

Your question is now down to this one point. Has anyone done a format of the XP Pro disk, then had a successful installation of Win7 64, using the Win7 64 upgrade disk?

--- The only way I see that to be possible is on an already 64-bit system/64-bit capable system with compatible 64-bit drivers

To me the bottom line is: if you want to do the 64-bit disc that you have, you need your system to be 64-bit

In addition, I would probably remove the hard disk with the XP Pro on it, buy an additional internal hard dive and use that one to attempt to do what you want to do but again I wouldn't have confidence in it if you do not have 64-bit drivers in your system or have burned 64-bit items onto disc from the computer manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer

#13 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

OK, stand well back.  I am going to try to format the drive, then restart with the DVD loaded.  (Turns to one side, squints eyes, raises left arm to help protect face.)

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

Gotta hand it to you; you've made a decision and you're going with it. Best of luck.

#15 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Now I ran into the problem of an Administrator, which I have to remove.  I will look up how to get rid of an administrator.  I think it is a jumper you change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users