Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conduit Search Malware Keeps Coming Back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 susanrs

susanrs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi, everyone -

I'm new here... and totally hoping someone can help me with this annoying problem!  

A family member managed to catch the Conduit search hijacker about two weeks ago.  Being an experienced computer user, I was tasked with removing it.  I followed the steps listed here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-search-virus/  and everything came up fine.  Conduit was removed.  I finished the procedure by running full scan with Avast! (free version).  Every single one of the removal tools advised it was removed. It wasn't showing up in the browsers either.

The following day, the virus/malware/hijacker was back.  So... I went through all the steps to remove it again.  The next day... it was back.  After doing this four times, yesterday I advised them to not go online - ANYWHERE - on that laptop... since I figured maybe a site they were frequenting was re-infecting them every day.  However, even after not going online anywhere yesterday, Conduit search was back this morning right after the computer was turned on.

Does anyone know why this thing keeps coming back?  Is there something else I should be doing?  Is there a better removal program I should be using?

The computer is an Acer Aspire 7741 with 6GB of RAM and running Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Thanks, y'all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I had the same problem.  Used http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

and then had to use it on Google, Firefox and IE to get it all.  Took some time and effort but that was 3 weeks ago and so far it's stayed gone.  Instructions are quite clear.   I didn't notice an uninstall specifically for Win 7 but I do hope it works for you.

Edited by MissLizz, 08 January 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#3 susanrs

susanrs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, MissLizz!  I'm hoping that'll work.  So far, so good.  :-)

#4 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm so glad.  It's always good to have a little know-how tucked back.  You were on the right track , just took changing/adding a few words.  Hope you have as good luck as I've had.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

You may want to read:

About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings - Removal Tips
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users