Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Scanner DR-1210C "freezes" after 1 use

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi there,

I have an HP P6240F tower running Windows 7 (64bit). Attached to that I have a Cannon imageFORMULA DR-1210C Universal Color Scanner [ http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/imageformula_scanners/imageformula_dr_1210c/imageformula_dr_1210c_universal_color_scanner#DriversAndSoftware ]

I have had an ongoing issue with the unit freezing up which no one yet has been able to help me with. Specifically what happens, when I boot my computer up the unit works just fine and I can complete a scanning job. Then if I wait more than a few minutes and try to scan another job the unit is non-responsive. I push the Scan button and the small display--which normally tells me what scanning preset I'm using--will continue to just say "Ready". When it does this, it does not matter what button I push on the unit, the unit is non-responsive. At this point I have to reboot my whole computer.

Now, when I reboot the computer, three separate messages come up indicating that there was problem with the drivers loading. When I click through those messages the boot up continues and the scanner now works fine--until I finish a job. Then it freezes again and I have to go through the whole routine again. This has been going on for several years. I have been to the Canon website multiple times and reloaded the most recent drivers several times, but the problem continues.

It's a great scanner except for this issue. I'm hoping you can help. You're my last resort!

Thank you. David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

One suggestion I have is to make it a clean build again. That is to backup your personal data to an external drive or thumb drive and then rebuild the system like new again clean with Windows 7 64-bit, then install the drivers first before connecting the scanner and see if that fixes this issue. * If you connect the scanner before installing the proper drivers you could end up with 2 sets of drivers installed for the same device. *This is one reason why most devices have stickers over the USB ports etc that warn you to install the drivers first before connecting the device.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Try disabling usb suspend. It may help.

#4 yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi Goldfist,

I just want to be sure I understand your suggestion before I move forward. Are you saying I should back up my data and then do a full wipe and re-install of the whole computer, or I should do a wipe and re-install of the scanner software?

Thanks for you help.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users