Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not shutting down properly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maester Trea

Maester Trea

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hi, for some strange reason my computer will for some reason not shut down fully.  What happens is when i shut down the computer it has the shutting down screen as normal, screen then goes black and says it's not receiving a signal anymore.  

All is normal there but for some weird reason after that the tower still stays on, the LED lights are still on and the fans are still running so its obviously still running for some reason and the only way i can shut it down fully is to hold the power button for 5 seconds.  This has only happened 2 times so far this week and it doesn't always happen but any idea what could be the problem?

Edit- i have had no hardware or software changes at all

Edited by Maester Trea, 08 January 2014 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

It would help if you posted your hardware info.

Next time open your case before you shut down, and take note of what you see inside the case.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Open the Control panel and click on Power Options.

Click on Choose what the power buttons do.

You have choices in When I press the power button.

If this is a laptop/notebook there will be two boxes with options.  On battery  and  Plugged in.

Under these there are three choices, Do nothing, Hibernate, and Shut down.  Make sure Shut down is chosen.

Desktops are the same except there is only one box for choices, but they are the same.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Gary_R

Gary_R

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

I had the exact same problem and just found the soulution.  On December 13 I got an updated driver for Qualcomm Athros bluetooth through Windows Update.  I rolled back the driver in device manager, and it completely solved the issue.  I hope this helps!

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

There's a possibility that you might have a program that is not allowing the computer to completely shut down, but with Windows 8 it's difficult to catch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users