Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office Excel (is this OS or Office caused?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I know that this problem has been a major issue with MS Office, but every fix I have found does not work.

Problem: "Cannot use linking and embedding" displayed when starting excel. Closing the warning closes the program.

Given facts: The OS is Windows 7.  The excel is office 2007 version. The problem persists accross multiple files of various save version (2003 and 2007) and save locations (saved on local desktop as well as on fileshare for the enterprise).  This problem is not persistent with other users, only this one. Problem does not persist on other computers.This problem is intermittent without a discernable pattern (IE: no single document or location triggers the event).

Attempts to fix:

Uninstalled and reinstalled entire office suite

Save older versions of a file in 2007 format

Enable and Disabled (yes, both) Dynamic Data Exchange

Checked that all add-in's were disabled. 

Ensured corporate certificate was published under trusted certs

Delete user account from computer, start over

Delete user account from AD and Exchange, recreate

DBAN and Re-image computer

Check DCOM settings, Microsoft Excel Application does not exist (b/c we do not have 2010)

User prints to print server, but updated the driver to his printer anyways

This has been long term and persistent.  Does anyone have any other ideas? I will try almost anything!

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2014 - 04:21 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Google Hits

Louis

#3 wing987

wing987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Most of those links have already been visited. Blaster worm is not on system, but ran the fix again anyways without result.  I tried to attach a screenshot that showed a whole page of purple links, but no dice.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Look at the information over at http://www.slipstick.com.

#5 wing987

wing987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

slipstick seems to cover outlook and Exchange, not Excel.  They do reference MS Office a couple of times, but nothing in relation to this problem. I appreciate that link though, I could use it for other problems!

Edit: added thank you and corrected spelling

Edited by wing987, 10 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users