Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Partioning Not Working on Ubuntu 12.04

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yes, I posted a question about this on a different problem, but I'm realizing that I can't even get Windows installed anyways, and this problem is much larger.

I had asked for partitioning guides, and I got them, but none of them work (I didn't know this), because all the partitions are locked, and I can't do anything with them.

So how would I partition when they're locked?

Are there command line(s) I can run in the terminal?

033pWka.png40JdCJx.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hi

I would recommend downloading and using standalone Gparted Live Disc than running it from inside Ubuntu

http://gparted.org/download.php

Since partitions are not mounted automatically, probably you won't face the lock issue.

#3 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Alright, I'll try that.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

I don't think you can resize a mounted partition. Assuming sda1 is what you are booting from then the only way to resize that would be through a boot able USB/CD. If you dismount sdf that should then be able to be manipulated. The 'eject' icon will dismount this partition.

PS it is generally much easier to install windows before Linux rather than the other way round.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

PS it is generally much easier to install windows before Linux rather than the other way round.

Especially if you want linux to boot after Windows gets installed. You can do it the way you're going about it, but it's going to involve strange incantations and indecipherable heiroglyphic-like syntax for new users. (Not that it's hard, just that it's intimidating if you aren't accustomed to it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users