Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone shed any light?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

The last few days my new(ish) Xperia Z Ultra has been experiencing what has been explained to me as "Phantom clicking".

The best way of me describing this is this;

My Xperia has a diagnostics setting which tests all parts of the phone when it comes to the touch screen you drag your finger on the screen and it will draw a line until you take your finger off.

So when i do this in a straight line the line will have bumps like there is something on the screen touching it. Also it will cut out as if i've taken my finger off.

Now this is where this gets strange. This only happens and i mean only ever happens in my office in work. No where else. I've tried it in the next office, downstairs in my house my car and it happens nowhere else. It's a pain because I cannot text as the screen goes mad!

Anyone have any ideas?

Also the screen is spotless.

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Is there anything in your office that might be giving off electrostatic discharge thats not in any of the other locations you test at? I know my HTC One hates being around the dryer when it's running. Other than electrostatic discharge I can't think of anything external that would happen in only one location. Maybe someone else will have a better idea?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

It's a good thought, it seems to happen the most at my desk.

There is a laptop a monitor a fridge and port replicator. But your idea may be what is causing it.

First I thought someone had "hacked" my phone and was messing with me but as it only ever happens in that one room I ruled that out ( I hope ) 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I think i may have something, my phone is always next to my wireless keyboard...

If i take the wireless keyboard away, the problem goes with it.

Now the question remains could thing cause problems with my phone in the long term?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Interesting, I highly doubt it's a long term problematic thing. My suspicion is that it's a bluetooth related issue. Meaning that your phone is sensing a blutooth signal and pauses for that milisecond that you see those gaps. It's designed to look for bluetooth so I don't think it's harmful. However I am not a hardware expert and my opinion is that of a layman.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

It does make perfect sense though. As also if i put flight mode on, on my phone it will not do it.

Interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users