Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quadro K4000 HP VS PNY

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 14kvision

14kvision

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum! I am just getting into building computers so hopefully I'll be around a while! Anyways, here is my question:

I've decided on the Quadro K4000 for my first build.  I've found two Quadro K4000 cards, they are as follows:

1) HP Quadro K4000 Graphic Card - 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI Express

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSXGQAQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB GDDR5 Graphics card (PNY Part #: VCQK4000-PB)

http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-K4000-Graphics-PNY/dp/B00BLTE7X0/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389190339&sr=8-1&keywords=quadro+k4000

I've found a deal on the first card $100 less than the second.  My understanding is the 2nd one is the one most people purchase when acquiring a K4000.  So my question is, is there a difference between these two cards at all?  Will both cards work equally and are both equally compatible. On B&H Video, they list the HP Quadro K4000 as a "Promo Card" which works with certain HP computers.  Is this just an advertising gimmick?  

Basically, I just want to make sure if I purchase the first one, it will work just like the second one.

Thanks!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

The quality of the cards are probably better for the HP vs the PNY. PNY is a mass producer of electronics and sometimes they cut corners with quality of components. However with HP willing to put their name behind a higher end product I would think that the quality would be better vs cutting corners on capacitor types etc. With the plastic housing over the heatsinks there is no view to compare the components between them for build quality. I'd be looking at component name brands as well as if one uses solid state capacitors while the other is cutting corners by using electrolytic capacitors to build it cheaper and with using electrolytic vs solid state capacitors, the electrolytic capacitors dont work well in heated areas of electronics ( because the electrolyte dries up from getting heated ), while solid state capacitors would work just about flawless in heated areas. This is one reason why you will find motherboards cheaper with the electrolytic capacitors while the better motherboards with solid state capacitors cost more. Your paying more for better quality, however that is not to say that one board would outlive the other. I have seen many cheap motherboards last years with cheap electrolytic capacitors, however they were cheap and not high end performance anyways. No matter the electronics whether is a video card or motherboard, I like to stick with quality built vs quantity built products. I know for a fact that PNY is "quantity" while HP likely will make a limited run of a specific video card and so they are focussed on "quality" since the intent was for these cards to be stuffed into an HP system where the cards are HP certified parts, so they have gone through extra testing and quality control processes that the PNY cards may not have gone through.

I'd certainly look online to see if there is any feedback from others who have bought these to see if there are multiple complaints for same specific problems to find possibly a design flaw before buying into a video card. Especially since your looking at spending that much!

Both cards should perform the same, however if run side by side with a benchmark utility, if one of them is using lesser quality components or drastically different interface circuit design to tap into the same GPU's, one would perform better than the other, however the benchmarks should only be a difference only noticeable with benchmark stat results and should not be noticeable to the user experience.

Another piece of info is that HP buys into other manufacturers products and so it could always be a PNY rebranded as HP etc, although HP usually goes with ASUS brand. I have yet to find PNY boards rebranded as HP etc.

Edited by goldfist, 08 January 2014 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users