Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while using uTorrent

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shurarihyon

shurarihyon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hi, I'm a new user and I basically came across this forum while googling a solution to my computer's problem. So, for a while now my computer crashes with a blue screen a few minutes after starting uTorrent and I get the error message Driver IRQL Not Equal or Less. I've tried a few things like updating the drivers using Windows Action Center, but that didn't help. I can't figure out which drivers are causing it and even checked the dump files using Blue Screen View and it highlighted Netio.sys and Vaio Firmware Extension Parser (I updated this one but the version on the Vaio website is the one I already had installed). Can someone please please help me solve this problem? 

This is the Speccy shot - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/87gTRSjVS84ih0KuKEWcMwP

The link to the minidump rar file - http://www.mediafire.com/download/s6yasiuol24vvi3/MiniDump.rar 

The Minitoolbox report link - http://www.mediafire.com/view/i4bshivq4uo8tmx/Minitoolbox%20report.txt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi

What is the exact model number of your VAIO laptop ?. Also please upload a "System Information Report" of your system by following the below steps.

1. Open RUN dialogue ( Win key + R )

2. Enter Msinfo32.exe

3. Choose File --> Save and upload the output file with next reply.

The last crash dump indicates Driver Verfier enabled in your system. If you intentionally enabled it, please disable. Otherwise, open an elevated command prompt and enter Verifier /reset to disable the driver  verification.

#3 shurarihyon

shurarihyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hello! 

My laptop model number is VPCEB26FG. I had enabled the Driver Verifier to gather the dump data and deleted the settings, but I've disabled it once again! Thanks for letting me know! Here's the System Information Report! https://www.mediafire.com/?3ct9fuym0s2n88j

Yesterday, I received help from a Quick Heal techie about this issue that my Quick Heal had and he found that the Atheros Wireless drivers were causing the problem so he updated them. After that I started uTorrent and it worked fine for like 6 hours and then boom - blue screen! I guess there must be some other problem.... I've also attached the latest Mini Dump file. 

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hi

New crash dump seems to directly blames Atheroz WLAN driver which is not usually happened with torrent related blue screens.

BugCheck D1, {fffff880009d1000, 2, 1, fffff88005687a91}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+35a91 )

Please check and confirm whether you are getting BSOD only if torrents are downloading. Quit/Stop "Utorrent" and watch some YouTube videos continuously to confirm that. If the BSOD only happens when "utorrent" is downloading, please try adding  utorrent to the exception list of Quick Heal firewall. "Quick Heal" may have separate exception lists for antivirus scanning and firewall. Adding "utorrent" to firewall exception list will prevent it from being filtered by "Quick Heal". 

Please report your findings with next reply. Depending on what you finds, we will proceed to the next step.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 January 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#5 shurarihyon

shurarihyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yup, usually no matter how many applications I have running the computer won't crash. And since uTorrent has been crashing I've been using YT a lot and the blue screen didn't show up. When that last crash happened, uTorrent wasn't downloading but seeding for 2-3 hours and I wasn't using the laptop for anything else. 

And it may sound stupid, but how do you add an exception for a software in Quick Heal? I checked, but there's only a list for excluding files and folders and there wasn't a uTorrent even in the Programs folder in C drive. Then I tried to check whether it's excluded from the Windows Firewall but when I tried opening Windows Firewall from Control Panel it just wouldn't open -_- I feel like it's blocking me out on purpose. 

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Hi

I am not familiar with Quick Heal so neither i know how to configure exception list in Quick Heal. usually it will be buried inside under advanced settings/configuration option. It will be better to ask the customer support about configuring firewall.

Since now there is a third party firewall is present, Windows firewall will be in off state. It will not be turned on unless you uninstall Quick Heal as running two firewalls at the same time will create lot of issues.

If you succeeded in adding utorrent to the exception list but the issue continues, please try the below workaround.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

2. Enter the below commands exactly and reboot the machine.

netsh interface teredo set state disabled 

Now check and report how the system works. 

Btw, from where did you get the WLAN driver update ?. Atheroz WLAN drivers are usually OEM customized and it is not recommended to install generic drivers for them. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 January 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#7 shurarihyon

shurarihyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hello! I asked the customer support about the firewall settings for QH and they said that there's no way to manually configure the firewall. And since the computer doesn't show a blue screen for a few hours even after uTorrent is open, I was using it as is. Then I tried the solution you have given, but still the blue screen error persists and it shows the same "athrx" error... But now what happens is that sometimes when I open Chrome while uTorrent is downloading, there won't be a blue screen - the computer just restarts, other times it crashes with a blue screen and then restarts... I'm even getting this error "Windows didn't connect to the Group Policy Client" ever since the Atheros drivers were updated.

As to where I got the WLAN drivers from, the technical engineer who helped fix the issue with Quick Heal before installed them through remote monitor. Whenever I try to manually update drivers from Device Manager it always says that my drivers are up-to-date but when I go to System Information, a lot of errors/critical signs are there for things like Kernel Power, Yukon etc. etc...

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi

I have a suspicion that the generic WLAN driver installed by QH support introduced new problems in your system. As i stated earlier, WLAN drivers in laptops will be tweaked for the OEM ( ie, SONY , HP etc ) by the vendor ( ie Atheroz , Brodcom etc) . A driver designed to be used in another model may not work properly in your machine. That is why it is not a good idea to install a WLAN driver from an outside source. I recommend completely uninstalling the current WLAN driver and install the driver listed on your product support page.

1. First download the original driver from the below link and extract it to a blank folder.

http://download.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/vaio/downloads/Win7Original/20101Q/VPCE_zip/AtherosWirelessLAN.zip

2. Now disconnect you WiFi connection and uninstall the current driver from "Device Manger" with "Delete Driver" option selected. Reboot the system to complete.

200921711042392.jpg

3. After restarting, WLAN adapter should be listed as "Network Controller" in device manager ( yellow mark ).  Now right click on it and choose "Update Driver". Select the folder with the extracted original driver and windows should install it. 

4. Reenter the command to disable "Teredo" from my previous post.

Let me know whether it helps.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 January 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#9 shurarihyon

shurarihyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I did all that, and then when I turned the Wifi on and tried connecting to my router it crashed, didn't even need to ope uTorrent now XD It crashed even in Safe Mode with Networking. Here are the last 3 dump files http://www.4shared.com/rar/kOuA7sLTce/1_online.html

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hi

New crash dumps didn't blames any third party drivers. Instead Windows kernel seems to be blamed.

BugCheck A, {4000001a7, 2, 0, fffff800026cf25b}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExpScanGeneralLookasideList+a0 )

BSOD now you are experiencing is definitely unrelated to "utorrent". Since the crash dumps refuses to show anything solid, i can't say whether the WLAN driver is involved. So i would suggest uninstalling the WLAN driver as a test and using the PC for some time without connecting to the net. If the blue screens are caused by the WiFi driver, it will stop. Please report your findings with next reply. 

#11 shurarihyon

shurarihyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

I did just that! It seems the Blue Screen did not appear after I uninstalled the Wifi drivers and then used it without connecting to the net. What can I do to be able to use the net on that laptop again?

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi

Please use Ethernet to connect to the Internet. Then configure Windows to receive optional updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-your-hardware

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2803-device-installation-settings.html

Now check for updates and install any single update it offers which will probably install the WLAN driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users