Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restrict access on a PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a small office (< 5 staff) and one of my employee will soon leave the firm. He is a developer (.net) and uses a normal Windows 7 PC. His system uses a wireless card to connect to a router for network and internet access.

Now I don't want him to take away files, documents etc from his system to his email or usb. Is there a software that can restrict access in such a way that selected usb ports and access to network (to and fro) is disabled. Only selected apps can access the network/internet. Basically I don't want him to take away files from his system. I don't want other systems which can access his pc to copy files as well. Either restrict on the basis of site or allow access through only 1 system on network.

Please advice if such a thing is possible.

Thank you,

Cheers,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

All of these things are possible, however they aren't something you just throw together.

Realistically there is no way to prevent people from taking data that they are able to access, just ask the NSA, especially if the protections haven't already been put into place.  You can purchase a 64GB USB stick, sufficient to store what most people will create over a number of years with a company.  If that isn't enough you get a portable TB drive.

It all comes down to trust and ethics.  Either you trust the people that you hire to behave in an ethical manner or you don't.  If you don't trust them you shouldn't hire them.

If it becomes an issue after the fact there is always the court system to remedy the problems.

#3 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

I understand that you are owner and adminstrator of all machines?..and of course you have full access to its content (rights, passwords, etc.)? If yes you can try to do so:
- install on your own USB stick encryption software like TrueCrypt or OTFE ("on the fly encyption" apps) - it's "portable" installation
- create on your worker's machine an enough large encrypted container (one or more) to contain all needed data that you want protect
- each such cantainer have to have strong password only for you knowledge
- open such container as another disk in system and move inside everything what you want protect...it works just like every copy/move/delete operation in some file manager
- disconnect container and your worker won't have any access to hidden data without your permission.
Even if container would be stolen (copied or moved to another USB stick) data inside are invisible, unreachable and by this way useless...of course you should have copy of  all data in container.

Edited by ichito, 10 January 2014 - 05:25 AM.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Did the employee not sign any type of employment agreement whereby he acknowledged all rights to any data, files, documents that he worked with or had access to were the sole propriety of the company...and that any breach or misuse of such data, files, documents could result in termination and/or criminal prosecution?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

group policy will disable all... and refusing internet access will stop him sending it out through the "ether". but this will create a bad feeling.

if you are just that concerned just say goodbye, he can get his personal effects right now but cannot touch the computer...

consider the money lost in wages insurance.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

@ greatchap

Are you still with us?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016