Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning to move system reserved partition from 100MB to 350MB ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Siva_Lovable

Siva_Lovable

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hi

last night clean installed windows 7 pro and noticed that system reserved partition is created with 100MB. Then upgrade it to windows 8 pro and finally updated it to windows 8.1 pro.

After complete installation of windows 8.1 pro and noticed in computer management that still system reserved partition is 100MB. whereas if in case i did clean installation of windows 8 pro then system reserved partition will be 350MB.

My HDD capacity is 2TB and i have nearly 1TB of unallocated space. C drive is 200GB

Therefore i would like to increase my system reserved partition from 100MB to 350MB.

How to increase system reserved partition from 100MB to 350MB with step by step ?

What is the advantages of allowing 350MB to system reserved partition in windows 8.1 pro?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi,

On a Win 7 clean install the system reserved partition contains the boot manager and configuration files, with the system recovery files placed on the OS install partition.

On a Win 8 clean install the system recovery files are placed in the system reserved partition, hence the need for a larger partition.

When an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 is performed the system reserved partition is retained at its current size and with the same file placements.

I would be inclined to leave it alone.  If you start moving files and get it wrong, you could end up with a non-booting system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users