Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdender 2014 vs Norton 2014, which one should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 *Crypto*

*Crypto*

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hello everyone from a Newbie..  I hope this post is in the correct forum?                                                                                                                  

My current internet security will expire in 2 weeks. I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and would like to upgrade to v2014, but unfortunately, I cannot properly install v2014 as the GUI will not load. I have tried various solutions offered from the Kaspersky forum, but no luck.I would like to know from you guys which Internet Security suite I should buy from these 2 AV's in terms of overall protection:  Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 or Norton Internet Security 2014.I have used a trial version of both of them for 2 weeks each,  and found both of them excellent, but unsure which one to go for. 

I use online banking, ebay, facebook and of course, general surfing  .Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

My desktop specs are:

Win 7  64bit

4 GB Ram

3.20 GHz

Thanks!

Edited by *Crypto*, 08 January 2014 - 03:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lioness1009

Lioness1009

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I actually tried them all and i am in the IT field for 12 years, but for home use i chose GData.

Bitdefender is good, i was pleased but i tested Gdata and it detected many things the other ones i had did not so i chose it and bought a license last month for my home laptop.

I tested BitDefender for a few weeks and it was great until I had a weird bug with manual scan, it used to detect viruses on a n external usb drive but would not clean them, i mailed support and it got stuck somewhere in their pile of bugs.....so i decided not to purchase it.

With Norton for home i am not familiar but Symantec endpoint for business is super aggressive if you do not know how to set it up correctly....

Now that i think of it, my dad used to have Norton, he liked it. But for some reason he switched to Kaspersky....Maybe because he is Russian ;-))

Edited by Lioness1009, 08 January 2014 - 01:35 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. Further, IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have to agree with quietman7,

I used to have Symantec installed on my home PC and found it quite memory heavy in that it would take a lot of power to run. But my business just installed Symantec and it an excellent product.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

I also meant to add that I have not heard any complaints about Bitdefender Internet Security 2014.

#6 *Crypto*

*Crypto*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Thanks for your replys.

I read somewhere  that GData is a little high on recources, can you tell me how it is playing on your pc Lioness1009?

BTW: GData has two scan engines, one of them being Bitdefender.

quietmn7, I had NIS on my old xp pc for 5 years (from v2004 to v2008) and yes, it did slow my pc down.  From the 2009 version onwads, Norton have propgressively fixed that problem. But at the end of 2008, I got fed up with Norton and switched to Kaspersky for 5 years.

For a free alternative, what do you guys think about Comodo Internet Security?

Thanks!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend either avast! Internet Security or ESET Smart Security.

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Just to add, I personally use avast! Internet Security and it's a great Anti-virus application. It's user friendly, easy to use and also not too bad on system performance

Edited by Darktune, 09 January 2014 - 11:12 AM.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

avast! users can also purchase avast! SecureLine VPN which is an add-on to secure any public WiFi and anonymize your browsing.

#10 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

And they also offer a mobile app, which too includes the avast! SecureLine VPN

I haven't yet purchased the SecureLine VPN but i've read reviews that it's quite good.

#11 Lioness1009

Lioness1009

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for your replys.

I read somewhere  that GData is a little high on recources, can you tell me how it is playing on your pc Lioness1009?

BTW: GData has two scan engines, one of them being Bitdefender.

quietmn7, I had NIS on my old xp pc for 5 years (from v2004 to v2008) and yes, it did slow my pc down.  From the 2009 version onwads, Norton have propgressively fixed that problem. But at the end of 2008, I got fed up with Norton and switched to Kaspersky for 5 years.

For a free alternative, what do you guys think about Comodo Internet Security?

Thanks!

Hey,

I know about the scan engines.

Well, I have 2 laptops, both are "monsters", I do not feel any problem with CPU load or memory consumption issues.

But it is installed on i7 with 8GB RAM laptop....I have the email check disabled....and some of the settings customized....

I agree about Norton, it was extremely heavy on resources indeed in past versions.

The new one seems to have improved, but not sure how much since I have not tested it that well.

Bitdefender felt to me heavier on resources than Gdata!

You can download the trial and check....I usually do that before I buy an AV.

Edited by Lioness1009, 09 January 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#12 *Crypto*

*Crypto*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for your opinions.

I have tried avast Internet Security 2014 3 months ago and found it very good..  I could also try Avast free with Win 7's firewall, that should be very light on recources!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users