Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC unable to fix corrupt files-- are these important?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdcrozier

jdcrozier

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hey all, 

Recently I've been cleaning up my PC (64-bit Windows 7, HP Pavilion dv6, AMD processor), and, thanks in part to reading these forums, managed to remove malware that was preventing Windows Firewall from starting and sfc /scannow from running all the way through. However, after running sfc /scannow I got a message saying "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some". I've already run chkdsk. Could you help me determine if I need to take action to repair these files or just let it go for now? My system is running fine at the moment (to my knowledge). 

Here are, from what I can tell, the three files in question from the log: 

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"WmiPrvSE.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-WMI-Core-ProviderHost

Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\BRCI06UI.DLL" of prnbr002.inf

Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\EP0LVR1V.DLL" of prnep00l.inf

The full log is here since it exceeds the upload limit: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B157JmcQZWCUVUt1MWFqSXNrMmM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for what you guys do. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

The last two listed appear to be Brother printer drivers...the WMI Core is a basic part of Windows.

If the files are damaged...the typical thing to do is to remove them and replace them undamaged copies.

I would try uninstalling the printer drives...then reinstalling same.  They may be creating the problem with WMI.

If files are damaged...what's the point of allowing them to remain in the system, causing problems?

Louis

#3 jdcrozier

jdcrozier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, I don't believe I have any Brother printers installed but I will see if I can find out how to reinstall the appropriate files. 

#4 jdcrozier

jdcrozier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

The Brother drivers apparently come installed with Windows. I was able to obtain working copies of the .dll's from a friends laptop running an identical OS, but still get the same error. However, I don't really agree with the advice that I've gotten on some sites to completely reinstall windows, as this seems unnecessary given that no problems are visible and all of my data is backed up in case something serious somehow materializes from this minor error. 

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Firstly I would suggest that you uninstall the drivers from the device manager, please follow the steps below:

Click on start > type in devmgmt.msc in search box, hit enter> right click on the printer drivers from the list of devices and click on uninstall. And restart the computer.

You can reinstall appropriate drivers from manufacturers website if so desired.

Good Luck

Edited by sikntired, 10 January 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#6 jdcrozier

jdcrozier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

The problem is that the drivers are not from printers that I've installed and are not listed on device manager list. They appear to be installed with the Windows OS, as the dll's were also on my friend's computer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users