Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking a computer back to when it was new

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 redvette6

redvette6

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Is it possible to take everything off a computer except what was on it when it was new? I have an older Dell laptop that I would like to do this to. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

If you have a copy of the original install disk, or buy one off Dell... easy as, just reformat the machine with it.

If not you will have to find the drivers, download them, reinstall windows then load the drivers back.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Yes it can be done as TsVk! says. However if we knew what the original OS is/was we can move this topic to the proper forum so you can get OS specific guidance. Let us know if this was Windows XP Vista or something older. Thank You and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 redvette6

redvette6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the help. The operating system is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and I have all the CD's that came with the machine. They are: Microsoft Works 8.5, Drivers and Utilities, Operating System and Application (for reinstalling Dell Media Direct 3. I also have the upgrade assistant for Dell Windows Vista which I never did use.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

With all the disks available, the quick method and something you should do on an older machine is to replace the CMOS battery.  This would also put the unit in its "factory default" condition and it should boot to the install disk and you can reformat the disk and reinstall the OS from there.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Start with the Windows disk, then install the drivers and utilities... don't worry about the other stuff.

Change the settings to boot from CD in the BIOS, install the first disk and go from there. No need to replace the CMOS battery if it's not flat (if the computer keeps forgetting the time, it's flat), though you could remove it for a minute then put it back to reset the BIOS... that is a fix for another set of issues that you've said nothing about though. Also probably unnecessary...

#7 redvette6

redvette6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Do I have to uninstall anything before doing all that you mentioned? There is none of the problems that you stated about the CMOS battery.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Nothing will have to be uninstalled before you reinstall the operating system. Everything on it will be wiped out. The only thing you have to do back up any files and folders you don't want to lose (pictures, music, documents, favorites, email/address book  if you use an email client such as Outook, Outlook Express, etc) to an external hard drive or cd disks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

All of those MCE systems are rather dated in 2014...so I have to ask just what compells you to believe that reinstalling Windows is going to yield anything positive...or even be possible?

In short...what's wrong with the system that you feel can be corrected by reinstalling Windows?

Louis

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

I would still be tempted to wipe the disk with the OS disks and the Dell stuff that comes with their packages.  That's the way it would be frrom the mfgr.  The CMOS reset insures the BIOS is read from the firmware and not a flash chip.  From that point, depending upon what's onboard and what's plug in, update the OS at the first option. 

#11 redvette6

redvette6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

I know that the computer is old and everything is way dated but I like to use it once in awhile. The main problem is that it is super super super slow and when I click on something to look at  I get maybe six things that come up on the screen one right after the other that have nothing to do with what I was wanting to look at. It never used to do either of these things and I thought that taking it back to original might do away with those two things. Also I'm not out anything if it doesn't make any difference.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

you are infected with a virus/ virus's...

Re-installing will fix this, but may be overkill. Make sure you back everything up that you want before you do it. (file, pics etc.) You will also have to download a GB of updates.

You could go to virus removal forum on here, they can help get you back on your feet.

#13 redvette6

redvette6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks. I posted on the virus area to see what they have to say. I supposed that reinstalling might be a little much but it was the only thing I could think of at the time. I have very little to back up so there is no worry there about losing things.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

it might be a bit much, but may also be the easiest solution...

Good luck :busy:

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

you are infected with a virus/ virus's...

Re-installing will fix this, but may be overkill. Make sure you back everything up that you want before you do it. (file, pics etc.) You will also have to download a GB of updates.

You could go to virus removal forum on here, they can help get you back on your feet.

You may be reinstalling some of the infections if you save content to CDs etc.

If any infection is included on the CD and then reinstalled, the project is useless.

Attempt to have the unit cleaned, and then you may save contents to storage -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users