Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Issua (I Believe)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smb13

smb13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

So, recently my laptop screen (HP Envy M6 1205DX with Windows 8) has been randomly turning white. Sometimes it takes a little while and sometimes it happens pretty quick, with the only difference is that it seems to happen slightly more frequently when my laptop is plugged in. If I shut the lid and open it back up, sometimes it fixes the issue. If it doesn't, I have to switch my video signal from "PC screen only) to a different signal and it works again. Until it starts turning white again.

I know it's not graphics card/chip related because it doesn't happen when I have it plugged into an external moniter; only on it's own. I'm assuming it's a screen/LCD cable issue? If so, how do I tell if it's one or the other? I found a replacement screen on Amazon for a decent price, but I don't want to get the screen if it's a cable issue. No need to spend any extra money.

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by smb13, 07 January 2014 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

If its a ribbon cable issue then generally moving the screen to a more closed or open position will cause it to either flash the screen or fix it for a while. If movement between the ribbon at the hinge between display and laptop doesnt fix the issue then either its finally a permanent break in the connection or the display itself is bad.

#3 smb13

smb13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

So, since closing my laptop and opening it up causes it to be temporarily fixed, does that mean it's a bad screen then? Moving it to a more open or closed position doesn't do anything; it only fixes it if I close it completely and open it back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users