Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update is stuck...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 michelleells

michelleells

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

For the last few weeks, my computer has been trying to install an update that is not installing. I am not sure if I have gotten a virus or if it's an easy fix? I have run Malwarebytes & SUPERAntispyware. Not sure what to do to fix it. Please help.

Thanks,

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Michelle:

I'm a fairly new member myself so can't offer much help, but I would suggest you browse this and the XP forums for this very topic.  I realize your problem and theirs are probably quite different, call for different solutions, but perhaps you can become familiar with the various things that can happen - while you are waiting for more expert guidance.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 979 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Try using the System Readiness Tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

If this does not work please include the update(s) that do not install (eg. KB 1234567)

Does Windows try to configure updates and is stuck at this screen? The all too familiar Blue Screen with a notification that " Windows is Configuring Updates, please do not turn off your computer".

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Edited by sikntired, 08 January 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#4 michelleells

michelleells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

It always says that I need to shut down in my Start Menu because it needs to install updates. I click on it and leave it on and it appears to shut down as normal, however, the next time I use it, it needs to shut down again and I am continuing a vicious cycle.

I opened Windows Update and it looks like it is trying to install the Internet Explorer 11 update and has been trying unsuccessfully since 11/26. I don't even use Explorer, but it is set to update automatically.

I am now trying to download the Readiness Tool and it has been stuck on the same screen for an hour or so and this is what it says:

Initializing installation... done!

Installing Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) (update 1 of 1)... 

I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

#5 michelleells

michelleells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

The Readiness Tool finally installed, now i just need to know what to do with it...

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

Run it and post the results.

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

If all else fails, you could just right-click the update and click "hide update"

IE 11 has caused numerous problems for our computers at work.

That's a workaround, but at least it's something....

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#8 michelleells

michelleells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I think I fixed it. I read somewhere to install IE11 from somewhere else and once I did that, it allowed me to do the update.

I couldn't figure out how to use the readiness tool...

Thanks so much for all of your help!!

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Michelle:

Glad things worked out.  I read somewhere, too, when you download a program or such, always go to the main website, company or whatever to do that.  You'll avoid picking up a virus  or other problems you weren't expectying.  Enjoy!!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users