Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up User Identity folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Can someone please help me understand the best way to backup my User Identity folders. For my regular backups of my personal files I use Goodsync. However, when I try to use Goodsync to backup the folders under C:\Users\My Identity\ I get hundreds of errors, saying that the folders or files cannot be accessed. I've done some online searching, and found posts that say that you can't backup User identities simply by copying the files to an external hard drive, because Windows locks many of them while it is operating. I have tried using the Windows "Backup and restore" function, selecting only my own identity and unselecting "Include a system image of drives: (C:)".  It took forever, and I had to leave it running over night. In the morning I found a message waiting for me saying that there was not enough space on my external hard drive for the backup. I can't understand this, as the size of my C:\Users\My Identity\ folder and subfolders is 23.9GB and there was over 320 GB free space on my external hard drive (which the backup process had filled).

I would really appreciate some advice on how to quickly and efficiently back up my User Identity files on a regular basis. If this means paying for software, that's fine (as long as it is affordable and not aimed at businesses).

I run Windows 7 64 Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Do you really need all of the files?  Most people only need the files from Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and maybe Saved Games.

Are you encrypting data?

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

There are two reasons for backing up the whole thing. First, I have been told that backing up the whole identity makes it much quicker and easier to get my system fully operational if there is a major system crash or hard drive failure requiring a full reinstallation of windows. I don't know enough to do this reinstallation myself, but the person who would be doing it for me says that having the whole identity backed up would be highly advisable.

The second reason is that there are all sorts of program information in the appdata folders which I definitely don't want to lose. Sure, I could set up individual backups for each important folder, but it would be much easier to just have one backup job that captures the whole lot in one go.

If it's not practical for some reason, then I will just have to do daily backups of the really important folders, and perhaps invest in Acronis to do a whole system image every couple of weeks.

And no - I'm not encrypting data.

Edited by skypilotpete, 08 January 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

IMO...the simple answer is to just use a program like Macrium Reflect Free to do a complete backup.  Invidividual files contained within the backup are always available, if user does not want to restore the entire backup.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users