Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista home basic freezes soon after start up. Need system restore multiple times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

HP Compaq Pressario laptop

4 years old

32 bit op system

3 Gig Ram

Vista Home Basic 

Service pack 1

My problems started when RegCure Pro gave me a link to an uninstall tool to remove all traces of the program because of an issue I had with it. I used the same program to uninstall something else (can't remember what - 6 weeks ago now) Then I was tidying up and noticed I had two Google Chrome shortcuts on my desktop. I dragged one of them over to the trash then a few seconds later watched in horror as all the shortcuts on my desktop vanished one by one till there was nothing left!

All my files, photos, icons - everything gone. Luckily I always log on as a user so despite losing everything I was able at least to log on as administrator but then it started to freeze every day and I could do nothing but cold boot, then eventually had to use system recovery and reformat to factory condition. Now it freezes soon after start up and I have to cold boot then system restore anything up to four times before I can get it going.

The only other thing I have noticed is that when I'm on a site innocently playing scrabble for instance, my browser has been hijacked and referred me to a sales site.

I have kept a very tidy house on this machine in the 4 years I've had it and it has typically 113GB free of 138.

Any ideas on how I can save it?

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2014 - 12:24 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and see if you find anything malicious.

If you find something you want to keep then please keep it. Dont delete it

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Please uninstall Reg Cure Pro.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-safe-is-regcure-pro/77693962-496f-40cd-aabc-ba5aae583700

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#4 Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

I tried Malwarebytes and nothing was found. On the same download I noticed an anti rootkit tool so I ran that but it couldn't scan saying it was blocked! Eek - am I right in thinking I've got a nasty rootkit thingy disguising itself on the essential system files so my AVG nor any other anti malware finders can't see it? Help!

Edited by Rupert Bear, 08 January 2014 - 08:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users