Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles with my first build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sanisage

sanisage

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I've got all the parts and have started building. The motherboard is mounted on the standoffs. The cpu is in the socket with a heatsink + fan above it. They are screwed into the motherboard. The power supply is in and the 24 pin connector is connected to the motherboard. The SSD is connected. The RAM is in the correct channel. I also have a bunch of cords that i've hooked up to the motherboard. At the moment I haven't installed the video card, wireless card, or DVD burner. I just want it to start up and make sure everything is working fine. I turned on the power supply and pressed the power switch button on the case, but it doesn't start up. Is there something i'm missing? I noticed that the RAM might not be pressed in all the way. The henges don't seem to snap back all the way. I've applied quite a bit of pressure to the point where i'm not comfortable. I can't tell if the RAM modules are all the way in or not.

I was thinking that at the case fan and cpu fan should start up, am I wrong?

Edited by sanisage, 07 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Did you plug the wires from the case buttons into the motherboard properly?  Those wires and motherboard contacts can be difficult to see.  RAM sticks have notches on their sides.  When properly seated in the RAM slots, the retaining clips go into the notches.  The RAM sticks are also designed to be inserted in one direction with an offset notch on the bottom, so if the RAM cannot go in all the way, don't force it.

3939.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

A couple of stray thoughts.

You did not mention if the 4 (8) pin is also plugged into the Motherboard as well as the 24 Pin cable from the power supply.

Also, Are You sure the memory is the right memory? Using older, wrong, memory it will almost fit into the slot.

Are the standoffs only where the mounting screws go through the Motherboard?

What make and Model of the motherboard?

What markings on the RAM (memory)?

Thank You

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 January 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users