is no longer recommending Spybot S&D
(or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here
- (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)
. Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer
and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry
but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry
and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions
to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection
of malware by those tools.
Please download TFC
(Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.alternate download link
-- Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.
- Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
- Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
- Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
- TFC will clear out all temp folders (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari) for all user accounts, including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
- Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.