Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start, even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uniquenewyork

uniquenewyork

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I've been trying to fix my parents' laptop for the past hour and I am completely lost.

They have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5059 with Windows 7.

Basically, the computer froze up on them. They manually shut it off (holding down the power button) and it would not restart. Starting Windows normally would only get them as far as the "Starting Windows" screen. 

The "repair your computer" option doesn't fare much better, as I get as far as a black screen with a cursor visible before it freezes again. Starting it in safe mode produces a similar result.

Unfortunately, I don't have a recovery disk to work with. Is there any way that I can fix this?

Edited by uniquenewyork, 07 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Recovery disk is the next step....

download an install disk from

this link

and use as a repair disk.

Edited by TsVk!, 07 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#3 uniquenewyork

uniquenewyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I downloaded the file from the link provided to a USB Drive. I tried to boot from the drive (selecting USB from the F12 boot menu), but all I got was a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.

Am I missing something?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Before starting a repair of system and bad sectors, try recovering certain data first then run a diagnostic test of the hard drive to check if its still reliable for usage or not. The Toshiba laptop might have a fitness test on BIOS or boot up menu. http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html#.UEmYsJZca0R

Tekken

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Sound advice jhayz.

I downloaded the file from the link provided to a USB Drive. I tried to boot from the drive (selecting USB from the F12 boot menu), but all I got was a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.

Am I missing something?

Yeah you are, you need to make the the USB bootable... here's an easy way how

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users