Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help installing XP on fresh drive in Netbook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freakychild

freakychild

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hello, 

I want to thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.  This is my first ever post in this forum, so I apologize if I've posted in the wrong area.  

I simply can't figure out how to solve this problem, which I'm sure is easy but just can't wrap my head around right now. 

I have an HP Mini 100-1030NR netbook that has had a replacement bare harddrive installed.  This new drive is a replacement for a bad one.  

The netbook does not have a disc drive, nor do I have access to a plug&play disc drive for it. 

I am trying to install Windows XP Home from the HP provided disc titled Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Ultra Low Cost PCs SP3

I do have access to a desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with a DVD-RW drive, as well as a 32gb usb thumb drive. 

My question is, step by step, how do I install the Windows XP OS from the manufacturer's disc using these resources?

Additionally, I have two other discs from HP for this netbook titled Application and Driver Recovery DVD discs 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.  Will these be needed, if so how will I use them on a netbook that has no disc drive?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am a hardware geek, but when it comes to dealing with the software side of things I am severely lacking.  

Thank you, again.

-Cris B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Here you go,

http://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/how-to-make-winxp-bootable-usb-drive.htm

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

you need to do one of two things, watch for an "F" prompt when you turn it on to select the drive to boot from ID your CD.  second choice also when starting watch for the "F" key usaully F2 to enter setup, scroll through the menu then select the drive to boot from again your CD.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 freakychild

freakychild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi, Thank you for that. 

I'm running into an issue, however. 

I got through creating the bootable USB, and configuring the bios as instructed. 
While booting the netbook from the USB, I get a message saying that iaStor.sys could not be found press any key to continue.   nothing will happen after that except a reboot with the same error. 

I've tried redoing the process a few times.

In PeBuilder, while it's building the .iso there are warnings after the operation is finished.  i can scroll through the warnings. they read as follows:

Warning: building from an OEM version of Windows can mean trouble...
Warning: File iaStor.sys not found
Warning: Creating ISO-9660 (version 2) filesystem.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in the OS

the second warning is obviously where my boot problems stem from. 

I'm following the directions to the letter.  Is there something else to try? this method seems to be really simple for a layman, if only I could get it to work.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Try using your CD using the boot selection, IMO using your CD is simpler.

Edited by OldPhil, 07 January 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Download this to a cd then copy to the bootable flash

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

#7 freakychild

freakychild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Download this to a cd then copy to the bootable flash

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

I downloaded that, and burned it onto a CD using Free ISO Burner to make a bootable disc.  I then tried to follow the directions given in the earlier link to poweriso.com to copy it to the bootable flash.  I could not build the ISO using the PE Builder tool.  I was given a error message popup when I pressed the build button that read the following:

Error Message
Invalid Source Path
(cannot find file D:\i386\setupldr.bin)

there is an i386 folder in the windows disc that came with the netbook, but there's not an i386 folder in among the ones burned to the disc from the download from microsoft. 

perhaps I've missed an important step? 

Roodo, I truly appreciate your attempts at helping me out on this. 

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Im sorry Download this file straight to your bootable flash. http://www.gegeek.com/documents/Downloads/WindowsOS/WinXPSP3.iso

The above link was to create an image using your disk. The new link is the image file that just needs to go straight to the bootable flash.

Edited by Roodo, 07 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users