Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Is Where I Belong!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaeluuc

jaeluuc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hi all at Bleeping Computer – arriving here after a “trial by fire” ordeal!

I have been dragged into the 21’st century kicking and screaming! I was a math major who even hated calculators back in the day. To me, the computer was a glorified typewriter, a very expensive electronic game for the kids and one more thing I had to worry about in raising them.

In ’01 we got the monster, it came with “protection”. Ignorance is bliss! By ’03 it was freezing and crashing so much that we just gave up using it. The kids finally convinced me that they really did need a computer for school. Priced out service people; forget that, for a little bit more we could start over. With another huge box in the attic we had some guy (the cheapest I could find) connect the “brains” of the old to the new and off we went in our ignorant state.

By this time, my oldest son knew a thing or two, unfortunately not ‘geek’ level but compared to the rest of us he was pure genius! He took charge of the beast (by this time I had no clue of what my clever little password had been) and my monitoring was reduced to sneaking up on them to see what they were viewing and coming up with “Hi honey, dinner will be ready in 10 minutes” or some other mundane excuse. The complimentary protection expired and other means were employed on a hit or miss basis by the ‘not geek kid’.

Last fall a friend printed something from a web site on a subject that I was studying. I timidly explored it further. I daringly went further still with a bit of genealogy. Before I knew it, I was looking up whatever popped into my head!

About 10 days ago I had a few minutes before I had to get off the computer, was pondering what else to look up when ANOTHER pop up happened. A-HA! I type in ‘how to get rid of pop ups’. One thing led to another and I landed at a forum style help place similar to this one. Overwhelmed does not begin to describe my experience!!!

I had absolutely no idea of what download and install meant, let alone everything else they were telling me! But as I struggled on, one thing came through loud and clear; the beast turned friend was dying! I didn’t know! After much blood, sweat and tears (okay, just tears and lots of them!) I somehow was guided through saving the patient.

Someone there finally heard one of my many cries for understanding that I AM A BEGINNER and sent me here. I think they are happy to be rid of me for a while!

Even though the kids lovingly call me ‘nerd’ now, I have A LOT to learn to earn the title!
I am sure that everyone here will be of immense help on my mission get up to speed in this century!

Thanks in advance for all that I will learn!
New Beginner
Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hello :thumbsup:

You are very welcome to BC

I think in my time here thats the longest intro ive ever had the pleasure in reading, so thank you very much in taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope BC can help you as much as it has helped me.

Visit here if you need help on how to get started!

New User Orientation

Brian

#3 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Brian,

I was going to add a (ps) saying I just needed to vent after what I've been through. Given a choice, I think I'd rather have my wisdom teeth out again.

I promise that I won't be so wordy in the future.

Playing catch-up now on everything that got neglected during the ordeal, but I look foward to the introduction and learning my way around here 'the right way'!

Thanks again!

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, jaeluuc.
Glad you were able to find your way, here.
We have a lot of very knowledgeable members, with an abundance of patience.
We'll turn you into a bonafide geek, in no time. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

I promise that I won't be so wordy in the future.

Not at all, BC admires people whom put time and words into their posts :thumbsup:

Edited by snyper, 08 May 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

Welcome to BC!
Literate and thoughtful posts are always welcomed here at BC, where you will find a lot of useful information both in the Tutorials as well as in the more technical forums, and where help with a problem or question is only a post away. And, since this is a user community, our posts generally avoid (where ever possible at least) piling argot so high that you cannot wade through even a short paragraph.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:38 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! jaeluuc.

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

#8 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

Dear yano,

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been busy reading the tutorials, tips & tricks and so much other information!

It seems the more I learn, the more questions I come up with!

This seems like a very friendly and helpful site :thumbsup: I have a yahoo question I'll be putting out soon. Also, after what I've been through I want to make sure that I have enough layers of protection so my main questions will be about that for now!

I look foward to meeting up with you again :flowers:
New Beginner
Windows XP

#9 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

Dear jaeluuc