Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With New Computer Ram Vs. Processor Speed!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rvm1245

rvm1245

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

I recently bought a used computer from my girlfriend's work. It is a Dell Dimensio 8100 with a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz and 128 Mb RAM (working on XP). The computer was completely wiped out with just XP and office installed. I realize this is not the ideal RAM to be running XP on, but it seems to be fine for just opening and using the internet (which is really all I'll be using it for). However, I came into some issues while opening video. For example, I was on youtube.com and tried to open a video, but i waited over 10 minutes before I gave up. Is this result of the slow processor or the lack of RAM? I read that increasing RAM to 512 might not even help with video if the Pentium is so slow. Should I just give up on it and just use it for simple internet use, or will upgrading the RAM help me with my problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:00 AM

It to me sounds like you use a dial up connection?

#3 rvm1245

rvm1245
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

no i have high speed wireless and it moves pretty fast...just video take an eternity

#4 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

you've 1.6 processor which isnt great, 512 for ram is fine but better if you have a separate graphics card,

i use a 1.86 processor 512 ram with a 128 separate graphics card, i tried that site with no probs.

Edited by snyper, 08 May 2006 - 09:31 AM.

#5 rvm1245

rvm1245
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

thanks i think i'll just stick with the processor then and upgrade from 128 to 512...it needs to be done anyway

#6 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

How much did you pay for the PC?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

128MB of RAM is really about the limit of functionality with XP, if you can increase the RAM to 512MB you will appreciate a big difference.

How large of a file were you trying to view? Your processor is more than capable of this type of operation, I have an old slot A processor running at 600MHz, and it can do it. If the site was very busy that could account for the slow loading, if not you may want to talk to your ISP to make sure that you're getting the full band width that you are paying for, or if there is something that has been overlooked in the process of setting up your broad band connection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rvm1245

rvm1245
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

100 bucks

#9 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Other members will most certainly disagree with me, personally i just dont like to spend too much money upgrading an old PC, but when you only paid 100 bucks you cant go too wrong :thumbsup:
You should be able to buy extra ram pretty cheap

Edited by snyper, 08 May 2006 - 10:09 AM.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

You need to have the latest version of Macromedia Flash player to view videos on Youtube. You also need at least a 500 KB broadband connection, according to their requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users