Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot reboot when external hard drive connected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ashotinthedark

ashotinthedark

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

If you could be so kind, please:

If I may ask, please, I have three external hard drives connected to a multi-plug USB plug-in, which plugs in via USB to a USBb part on my Dell notebook.

One of the external hard drives is a Seagate 4 TB which is brand new. I swapped it out recently three times to ensure that the hard drive itself is not the issue, and it is definitely not since I swapped it out three times, insofar as at least assumed reasonably so it is not defective.

The issue is rebooting. When I reboot whether it is hitting the restart button, or, doing a total shutdown and start from scratch, the computer does not restart as it freezes at the Dell screen, when the new hard drive is plugged in.

The other external hard drives do not cause any rebooting issues. One of the other hard drives is also a Seagate 4 TB. I believe it is the exact external hard drive, just older, but I believe, but not certain, it is the exact model.

I know that the easiest answer is to just not have it plugged in. However, that does not solve the problem. I do wish to have the problem solved, and do not want to have the hassle of constantly plugging it in and unplugging it.

I am not computer savvy so in any nice help please speak as much as possible in simple as possible layperson speak so I can understand what you're saying, and am able to follow your directions.

I googled the probblem and found that many adivise to change the boot order which I understand is the first step with this problem. When I first did check it, (I wish I could be more sure) I believe the boot order was out of order. However, I was able to successfully change the boot order and save it. It has been checked a dozen times or so since to make sure that the boot order was saved correctly, and is much as I can possibly tell, it is correct now; the external hard drives are last in order of boot up.

Any ideas thoughts and concepts in such as to what could be causing this, and ways to fix it? There must be a tangible issue at hand, and some way or somehow to fix this problem.

I genuinely appreciate the help.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Have you checked for any firmware updates for your laptop's motherboard or USB firmware upgrades?  An updated BIOS could also be needed.  What model is your Dell laptop?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Something I saw on another forum was turning off the ability to boot from USB in the BIOS.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Something I saw on another forum was turning off the ability to boot from USB in the BIOS.

exactly what I thought, I've seen this before at work.... completely disabling the usb boot service solved it.

Edited by TsVk!, 08 January 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#5 ashotinthedark

ashotinthedark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

Sounds promising. May I ams please how do I do that? I am not overly computer technical so I lay-speak please. Thanks

Edited by ashotinthedark, 09 January 2014 - 04:42 AM.

#6 ashotinthedark

ashotinthedark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

exactly what I thought, I've seen this before at work.... completely disabling the usb boot service solved it.

Also sounds promising. May Iask please how do I do that? I am not overly computer technical so I lay-speak please. Thanks

#7 ashotinthedark

ashotinthedark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:47 AM

Have you checked for any firmware updates for your laptop's motherboard or USB firmware upgrades?  An updated BIOS could also be needed.  What model is your Dell laptop?

Have you checked for any firmware updates for your laptop's motherboard or USB firmware upgrades?

How do I do this please? Thank you

(WIll post the model number ASAP)

Edited by ashotinthedark, 09 January 2014 - 04:48 AM.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

In the BIOS settings for your machine, you may see a message on boot for how to get into BIOS or Configuration on boot.  Common keys to press are DEL, F2, and F10.  Look in there for a Boot Options section and see if there is the ability to turn off USB boot.

#9 ashotinthedark

ashotinthedark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Look in there for a Boot Options section and see if there is the ability to turn off USB boot.

I did and there is no such option that I can see.

#10 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Generally the manufacturer of your laptop will have available bios / firmware updates on their website.  There are some risks posed with upgrading the bios / firmware, but generally everything works just like it should.  Sometimes an update is not installed correctly, and could brick your machine.

If you're not sure about what updates you may need I would suggest taking it to a repair facility, or if your Dell is fairly new you may have the benefit of free tech support from them.  If you're past the warranty date though they may require you to pay them for help, and most likely it would be more than a repair shop would charge.

In the meantime the easiest solution would be to unplug the drive while booting up and reconnect it once you're logged into windows. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users