Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 12.04 Wine problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Okay, so, until a couple of days ago, I barely even knew the word Linux existed.

However, through troubleshooting (on this site) I had to install Ubuntu, and I fell in love with it.

However, Wine is not working correctly.   I can give specifications and such, but I was mostly wondering how to completely reinstall Wine.

And commands I get from the internet don't really remove everything.

Keep in mind, I literally have no idea what I'm doing.  I just enter the right command into the terminal from the internet. ;p

Addition Information:

I'm running Wine 1.6.1, and this is the error that comes up when trying to download a DLL I need.

"sha1sum mismatch! Rename /home/user/.cache/winetricks/wininet/3725.exe and try again."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Here is how to install WIne on Ubuntu:

http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

What application are you trying to run?

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

and here is how to completely remove wine

http://www.nyutech.com/2009/03/how-to-install-and-completely-remove.html

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

note when using wine you have to have download and exe file application and then click open with wine. also not all windows exe files will work with ubuntu. that is why most linux users dual boot between windows and linux. would love it if a never had to use win7 again. just mess around with linux and have fun.

this also might help

Linux software equivalent to Windows software

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Ah, thanks, guys.

And I'm trying to run a game, so yes, it has a high probability of not working.  But tons of other people get it working on their first try, so I'm obviously doing something wrong. :P

Also, I don't want to post another topic about it, so I'll just ask it here.  Could someone link me a good disk partitioning 'tutorial', especially one that works with people that don't have Windows installed?  I have no idea what I'm doing with that, either.

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

here is a good one

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

You may want to try out CodeWeavers, instead of just standard Wine.

#8 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thanks!  I should be good now.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Before using a command such as sudo apt-get purge wine\* you should read the discussion here:

How do you uninstall wine 1.5? - Ask Ubuntu

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users