Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems transfering files across network

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 curiositykat

curiositykat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have a qwest/centurylink actiontec q1000 modem/router combo that I run my network off for the last 2 year or so. My problems lie in wireless file transfers from my laptop (HP pavillion DV6700t) to my NAS (iomega storcenter ix2-dl with a single 3TB HDD) and as far as I know the router is setup properly for the NAS (port forwarding, trusted devices, ect). Currently about 260GB on it that I have slowly transfered over. Issue is when transfering from my laptop via wifi to the NAS which is directly connected to the router I keep losing connection and also the connection is slow for network transfer. Specifically the q1000 drops my laptop completely off the network during transfer. I can reconnect right away but it still messes up any file transfer in process and I have to restart it all over again. I have net limiter installed and it has helped improve stability even tho there are no limits set, but it still does not give perfect stability. Transfer speed is about 1-1.5MBpS uploading to the NAS, yet downloading or streaming anything from it is much faster and I also never loose connection. I've dealt with this issue for well over a year now and I'm fairly certain it is an issue with the q1000. Just looking for any suggestions or ideas on why I keep loosing connection transfering files over to the NAS.

Many Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Really depends on how you are connecting with WiFi.  I use Wireless-N all the time, to connect to my Lenovo ix2-4, and have no transfer issues.

It helps to know what Operating system you are using, if you are using Wireless-G or Wireless-N, if the NAS is connected to the Gateway, or on a 10/100/1000 Switch.

You have a Wireless-N capable Gateway, that should not be having issues.  You should not be having issues with the ix2.  The dl at the end of the model, just means that it was a Disk Less model, but it is the same if it was a ix2-4.

I am thinking that you have computer issues, not with the Lenovo.

Edited by Greg62702, 06 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#3 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

This is the first time I have heard of G and N. After checking my wireless it says 802.11n. And again I've never heard of a 10/100/1000 switch so I'm assuming its connected to the gateway. (NAS is directly connected to the q1000 via ethernet.)

My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit. The laptop is using Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver version 13.4.0. My reinstall of this OS is fairly new new(about 8 months). Its had the same issues before and after a clean install of windows 7. I have gone after the wifi driver as being a possible issue for this but I really couldn't find out much about it. This is my first network and I don't completely understand everything but certainly willing to dig into whatever is suggested.

Something to note without netlimiter installed my laptop would fall of the network within a minute of trying to transfer something to the NAS. I transfered a 700MB file tonight. It took 3 tries before it was sucessful and again transfer rate was 1 to 1.5MB. I can upload files online and I never fall off the network, its specifically when I am transfering to the NAS. 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I am curious, can you download files from the NAS without issues? What other devices are connected to your network? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Uninstall the Intel software if installed for handling Wifi.  Windows 7 should be handling Wifi networks.  As for the speed, it can be slow transferring through the network to it, regardless if you are on a wired or wireless.  I have my Lenovo ix2-4 setup for FTP & Windows File Sharing.  You will find that FTP is actually faster, then Windows File Sharing.

Now of course if you go and turn off QOS on your computer, that will also speed things up.  There are a couple of tweaks that you can do to speed up Windows 7, but some do require that you have the Pro version of Windows.

Your speeds are about right when transferring to that unit, but a lot also depends on the router you are using, and if the NAS is connected directly to the Gateway, or you are using a separate Access Point connected to a 1,000mbps switch, along with the NAS, as mine is setup.

I only use the Wireless-G on my Gateway from U-Verse, for a couple of cameras and my three Nest Protect's.  Everything else is through two Wireless-N Access Points that I have connected to a Netgear GS108 in my basement, where all of my networking gear is located.

#6 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

I  can download from the nas without issue. There are only three things on the network, laptop, NAS, and xbox 360. Neither device has issue streaming/downloading from the nas. Only the laptop is wireless except ocassionally I will acess the NAS wirelessly with my android phone and that never given issue either. Usually my phone isn't on the network.

I'm not sure what you mean by intel software. Apart from the driver to for the wifi I don't have anything else.

I tried dealing with this issue right after my last clean install of windows 7 and could not fix it. So its either something with the router/modem or the wifi on this laptop and after what you are saying I am leaning towards the latter.

I can deal with it being slow if thats how slow its suppose to be.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Turn off QOS for Windows 7 and see how that works.  You can use "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" from The Windows Club website http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista  It will allow you to also adjust Network connections, for fast connection.

What it does is override the self tweaking that Windows 7 does, which is not always good.  Turning off QOS on Windows 7, will speed things up also.

#8 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Alright I turned off QOS for Win 7 via registry tweak. Then restarted the computer. Attemped to do an 8GB transfer, 5 minutes in I loss connection. Reconnected without a problem. Went to my router and disabled QOS for IPv4 and IPv6 then reattemped the same transfer. It did go faster but about 1 hour in I still fell off the network again. This time I could not reconnect. Tried resetting wireless driver, then I unplugged router, neither had any effect. Upon restarting the laptop it reconnect on startup without issue.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

is it only wireless or does it not work when plugged in either?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Turn off just IPv6.  If you are dropping and it is WiFi, most likely it is issues with the gateway.  Buy the Trendnet TEW-690ap, and use that in place of the onboard Wireless-N on the Gateway that your provider gave you.  You could try doing a full reboot of everything, and see how that works.

Also try a ipconfig /flushdns and do a Winsock reset:  Open a Command Window and enter the following:  netsh winsock reset catalog

Also run:  netsh int ip reset reset.log

Then see how that works.

#11 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

It does work plugged into ethernet. 10MBpS speed

Greg I think you hit something on that last part. After going through those commands and restarting I was able to transfer 17GB as a single transfer and I never lost connection over those 3-4 hours. I did some smaller less than 1GB transfers too and never lost connection. So then I decided to experiment and uninstalled Net Limiter, repeated those commands, and rebooted. Amusingly my network transfer speed took a bit hit and fell to about 0.5MBpS and would not go any higher. I tried one transfer last night and it got about 30 minutes in and I lost connection. Tried another transfer this evening and it dropped almost immediately. So I reinstalled Net Limiter and am currently doing another transfer at the usual ~1.5MBpS and will see if it drops or not. The typical behavior without net limiter installed before was usually between the first 0-50MB of a transfer I would loose connection, but not always. 

Also I completely forgot I have an android tablet that uses my wifi as well. I usually only stream from the NAS, but I did transfer a single file about 1GB from the tablet to the NAS the other day just to test if it worked and it never lost connection.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

I have been offline for the past couple of days, due to working on getting Xubuntu 12.04 stable on my Laptop.  As for the Android tablet, that would not cause a hit on the Network, unless it is leaching somehow out to various sites, causing slowdowns.

As for Net Limiter, it should not affect Network connections.

You could try a network adapter uninstall, then reboot and let Windows find the adapter drivers.  That can clear things out also.  As for the NAS, I found using Clonezilla Live on a USB stick today on two like Laptops connected through Ethernet.  One with a Crucial M500 SSD, the other with a Platter drive, there was a huge difference in file transfers to my ix2.

The one with the SSD performed faster in cloning the image over to the ix2, then the other one with the factory installed platter drive.  I think you are on to something, once you are done tweaking settings on your problem child.

Now on my ix2, I have it set with a Static IP, so that my U-Verse Gateway does not change it on me, when I have to change Gateways, or clear the IPtables list on the Gateway.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

If it works on the computer via ethernet and it works with other devices then the issue must be your wireless. I agree with Greg and think an uninstall in device manager and reboot might work but you might need to remove all the software and start fresh. It's fairly easy and painless to uninstall in device manager and reboot, so try that first. 

Very baffling issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users