Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Upgrading Video Card HP Pavillion-p7 1207c

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CFriscia

CFriscia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

My Daughter who knows nothing about computers has an HP Pavillion p7 1207c Computer. Now her teenage son wants to play some video games. I looked it up It has a low Power supply. 300 watts, so that is very limiting. Right now it has an integrated Raedon card. which says its 6370d.. I think if they could upgrade to anything better they would be happy. Something that has more memory or a little more power.. I have looked at Video cards but allot don't say what power supply they need. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me a Nvidia Or Raedon card that could be installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hi, which game's is trying to play and is there a budget?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 CFriscia

CFriscia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Actually I don't know, he has several video games. His friends older computer runs the games faster. That's why he wanted to update card from the Onboard graphics one. And Price is really not that big an issue. I don't think there computer is going to run a 300 or 400 dollar graphic card

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Actually I don't know, he has several video games. His friends older computer runs the games faster. That's why he wanted to update card from the Onboard graphics one. And Price is really not that big an issue. I don't think there computer is going to run a 300 or 400 dollar graphic card

The 300W power supply will severly limit the selection of graphics card but if you also upgrade the power supply, you can get a pretty decent graphics card that won't cost a fortune.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

You may need to upgrade the power supply to get a meaningful upgrade.  Probably one of the better 'low power' graphics cards (55w draw, no external PCIe power needed) is a Radeon HD 7750 (GDDR5).  For example this one and it will be a lot faster than integrated graphics.  However it may still need a PSU upgrade (the maker recommends 400w).  With a very good 300w PSU I'd feel entirely confident about running that graphics card in an otherwise relatively low power system, but with an OEM PSU which often aren't great, it may be better to err on the side of caution and upgrade the PSU anyway. This will open up a range of possibilities with regard to card choice.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 January 2014 - 04:33 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 CFriscia

CFriscia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I would Have no idea how to upgrade the power supply. Or what it would entail. I don't know if his Mom would approve of that. She doesnt have a problem with adding a seprate video card. But the power supply might be allot harder.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Changing a PSU is not much harder than installing a card.

Anyway you might get away with a low power card without changing it.  I plugged in the specs from HP into this power supply calculator (I think it's generally considered to be a good one) assuming you added a Radeon HD 7750 to the system.  An Nvidia GT 640 also comes out at around the same sort of power requirements.

This is the result:

tlZQVOw.png

Do have a look at the calculator yourself though.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users