Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

won't connect to proxy server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbiafra

jbiafra

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Sorry for double posting this, but I didn't make my problem clear in my last topic title. After using malware bytes anti mal and restarting my computer, I am no longer able to access the internet on my computer, even though I am connected. We contacted the ISP and this is not a firewall issue, its a computer issue. I'm thinking mbam must have deleted a reg file important for the proxy server. I tried doing a system restore to before I used mbam and that did not work. Is there anything else I can do? I have some earlier restore points I can try. Can I try a different port? Is there anything else I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbiafra

jbiafra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

This problem was solved by unchecking the box in my LAN settings that required me to use a proxy server, although I have no idea how I figured that out on my own. What possible problems, out of curiosity, could arise from not using a proxy server?

Edited by jbiafra, 06 January 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

A proxy server has a variety of potential purposes, including:

• To keep machines behind it anonymous,
  • To speed up access to resources (using caching).
  • To prevent downloading the same content multiple times (and save bandwidth).
  • To log / audit usage, e.g. to provide company employee Internet usage reporting.
  • To scan transmitted content for malware before delivery.
  • To scan outbound content, e.g., for data loss prevention.
  • To bypass website restrictions at work and/or school.
  • Access enhancement/restriction

#4 jbiafra

jbiafra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Any idea why my computer is no longer allowing me to connect to a proxy server to use my web browsers? and is there a driver or something I can download so I can solve this problem and go back to using a proxy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users