Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird, unusual computer noise, please read...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mello99

Mello99

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Ok its been a week my computer has been making a weird noise. It's not graphic card fan, we checked that. Its not power supply unit fan, we tried 3 different ones. I took my PC to the computer repair service and they told me to get a new CPU fan so i did and the sound disappeared for 2 days and now it's back.

I'm pretty sure it's something mechanical. All the temperatures are perfectly fine and the sound doesnt change when i play games or do something usage heavy. 

It can also disappear by itself or by inclining the PC case...

I have only 3 fans and it's none of them that causes the problem. Its a heavy, loud drilling noise as if the whole PC was shaking. It can have different intensities. 

Im thinking about calling for a PC technician but i wanted to ask for advice on forums first.

Do you have any ideas what could be causing that? The noise is super loud but i don't think it's dangerous at all to my PC

EDIT: Also, before buying a new CPU fan we dettached the CPU fan (with my friend in my house) and the noise persisted even without anything being attached. How is it even possible?

Edited by Mello99, 06 January 2014 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

Have you looked at all of the cables/wires/etc. running around inside the case? Wires and open fan blades make very noisy companions.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

I did, we moved some of the cables and stuff, we detached and reattached alot of things. Funny thing is, i've had the exact same noise around 2 months ago and all it took to fix it was taking it apart (i actually hardly changed anything just touched some fans and cables etc) and putting it back together. I didn't do anything special and it was fixed for 2 months

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

Got to love those noises that are here one day and gone the next.

Recheck the fans to see if any of the housings show signs of wear or are loose.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

Make sure the fans are secured. (screwed down tight)

#6 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I was actually gonna open it again and make sure EVERYTHING is screwed down properly. But i am kinda scared as i dont want to damage anything especially motherboard.

Anyway,

i don't think its the fans being broken but maybe attached the wrong way, i know for sure its not graphic card and power supply fan, i dont know about the CPU one but when we stopped it , the noise didnt stop.

The IT guy said it's a typical sound and its the fan but i got a new one (basically the same kind, better quality though, and a bit more expensive than the last one) and it's still there. It seems to raise in volume over time.

Edited by Mello99, 06 January 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi,
Keep digging.
When you have the case open does the noise continue?
Thanks

Dick E

#8 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Ok i took one of the side panels off (the one that i rarely take off at all) and it stopped for like 6 hours but its starting to be back now. Please help...

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Did you leave it off for those 6 hrs? When the noise started up could you tell were it was coming from?

You could unplug a fan at a time.

#10 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

We did try that before but the sound was still there. Im kinda afraid to do it alone honestly. Yes i left it off for 6 hours. and i cant really tell, but Im pretty sure its from the CPU area. Its incredibly hard to tell exact location of the source

Should i stop one fan after another with my finger when the sound starts being loud again to test it again? Are you sure nothing will overheat?

Please help me, i asked so many people and literally no one had a clue

Edited by Mello99, 07 January 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#11 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

The noise is gone now but i can sometimes hear a very silent drilling and im pretty sure its gonna come back. Im going to sleep for now

PLEASE Read all the messages i posted in this thread and give me some more ideas on what to do. I appreciate responses i already received

#12 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hello Mello99 and welcome to the BC Forums! :welcome:

To help facilitate determining the nature of your problem, please post back with a "snapshot" of your system using the Speccy program via the link below (Please follow all instructions given, being sure to include the link to the Speccy snapshot in your next post):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

(The instructions at the link above are provided by one of our BC Advisors, keyboardNinja)

Best regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 07 January 2014 - 07:34 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Can you also take a picture of the insides of your case so we can see what we are dealing with? That sound could also be a stuck CD/DVD in the optical drive.

#14 Mello99

Mello99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

1. Im gonna use that software and post here, thanks!

2. Cant be a CD/DVD, i rarely use them at all and theres nothing there atm and havent been in a while

3. I will take a picture! Hopefully it will provide more insight so stay tuned

#15 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

if you reach in and touch the heat sink above the cpu does it move or wiggle?

You can do this with the computer off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users