Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Our Right To End Our Own Lives ...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

Just curious as to how others feel about this topic.

I personally feel that while I surely don't have the right to end anyone else's life, I should have the freedom to end my own.

I'm not referring to a person that is depressed - rather, I'm referring to those that have a terminal illness and would rather leave this world with some dignity, rather than live through agony for additional months without any other outcome but death in the end anyway.

Or those that are facing long debilitating diseases such as Alzheimers (10% of all patients in the United States with Alzheimer's are diagnosed in the 40's and 50's, and it's not that rare to be diagnosed while in one's 30's). There is no cure and the end is always ugly - not just for the patient but a nightmare for their caregivers and other that love them.

As it is right now, in many places it is illegal to be aware of a person's intentions to 'gracefully exit', let alone be in the same room offering comfort and support to those one loves.

Isn't it odd that when a beloved pet is severely ill and/or in constant pain, owners are condemmed by society for letting them linger on in pain ... yet, when a very ill person decides to take their own life they are risking the freedom of those they love should they decide to not die alone and lonely.

Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

For the most part I would agree with Mara's take on this issue.

Assisted suicide is legal in my state of Oregon...sort of. Oregon voted in support of the law twice. Even after that, politicians in D.C. have tried their best to combat it by making the drugs used for assisted suicide harder to get (if not impossible). This shows you what they think of democracy: "democratic process is great, as long as you vote for things we happen to agree with."

Besides the legal battle, I think the most difficult part of the issue is where to draw the line. How terminal do you have to be? If a doctor says you have 6 months, what if he's wrong? What about debilitating injuries that won't end your life but make life too painful or difficult to be, in your own assessment, worth living? For example: a person that is paralyzed from the neck down. You'll never move on your own again. You can't do anything without help. Your life consists of staring at what ever is right in front of you. One could argue that that is even worse than terminal disease; you have to live in this condition for many decades.

I guess the question is, if you have the right to choose to end your life, don't you also have the right to choose why you end it?
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

I think people SHOULD be able to decide when they want to go. It's your own choice what you get to do with your life, so if you want to end it, why should you be stopped? The only exception to this would be those that don't have the mental capacity to reason. If there's something wrong with a person, and they're consistently putting themselves at risk without meaning too, then they should be somehow protected.

Assisted suicide is another issue. There are a LOT of liability issues that go along with those that want to "assist" people in killing themselves. What if the assistance isn't good enougH? Would the "victim" be allowed to sue? What about the "victim's" family and friends? How would they feel about someone helping their family-member/friend to kill themself? At what point should those assistants refuse to "give service"? On what grounds?

Then there's the question about what constitutes a "legal contract" with the client/assistant. Can it be only verbal if the person can't do anything else? Can it be expressed prior to an event? Would a lawyer and witnesses have to be there?

If you can and want to kill yourself, i think you should be able to without authorities and people stepping in to stop you. You have the freedom to do what you want with your body, so why can't you end your life if you want? Regarding the assisted suicide thing, i'm not as confident w/ a decision....

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

I agree. It's your life, your body, you should be able to decide when you want to die. It's like the abortion topic, you should have control over your own body. No other person, should have any authority of what comes out of you, or how you end your own life.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

A neighbor up my road put a gun in between his legs and blew his head off....I dont think suicide is the answer to anything.

Even if you are sick.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

Well committing suicide shouldn't have to be something where your only option is to take a gun and place between your legs and blow your head off. If I were to commit suicide I would want to do the least painful and most humane thing. Someone get Kavorkian out of jail. He isn't doing anything illegal.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

The question isn't about "is it the right answer?"....

The question is "Should you have the right to IF you CHOOSE to?"

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

Exactly. So obviously. Some people would choose not to.

Edited by yano, 08 May 2006 - 10:33 PM.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

On the "if they wanted to they should have the right"
If people had the right to do everything think of what would happen.
Its like laws they are there for a reason because of what people would do if they could.

Do you consider it murduring yourself?
Do you consider murder to be wrong?

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Technically suicide isn't murdering yourself, because to murder you must UNLAWFULLY take someone's life, and from what I've seen suicide isn't UNLAWFUL.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:52 PM

So you need it written on paper to tell you killing yourself or someone is murder? lol

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

Well if I committ suicide, right now. What are you going to do? Send me to jail for life or death penalty? Wait a sec though, I would already be dead... hm.. contradicts logic now does it?

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

Whether or not you can not be sentenced for murder doesnt make it right now does it?

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

Who should decide if it is right? It's not like anyone who is committing suicide, is going to take a poll and ask everyone's opinion first.

#15 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:08 PM

Killing yourself isn't murder.... Is taking money out of your wallet theft? Is taking a shower indecent exposure? Is burning your own GI Joe arson? The answer to all of these is, you guessed it, NO.

Let's try to get back to the real question of: Is suicide something that should be stopped if one wished it upon themselves for whatever reason?

At least i think that's what MaraM's original topic was....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 08 May 2006 - 11:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users